Strange behavior on Terminal widget

Terminal widget is powerful, but there are problems on visualization. Sometimes I have a duplicate text and I solve if I Stop and Run the project.

Sometimes, if I stop and run to delete duplicate, text on terminal disappears totally and it is impossible to recover.

Even if text does not disappear immediately, when I re-open the app after hours, text disappears.

I hope it will be solved as soon as possible because I use terminal widget as summary of my energy consumption of every day and if text disappears, I lose all my consumption history (to be honest project is not complete and so energy consumpion is not real at the moment :joy:)

You should not use terminal for historical record keeping!

I have also noticed duplicated text when using terminalā€¦ always complete lines as opposed to duplicated characters.

I thought it might have to do with the use of terminal.flush(), but without that, nothing printed at all.

terminal.println(inputString);
terminal.flush();

It did not always print duplicate linesā€¦ so it was a little tough to track the reason. so I ended up using Blynk.virtualWrite (Vx, inputString); instead.

And to keep the issue on topic, while I must agree that historical record keeping shouldnā€™t be entrusted to any basic display type widget (at least mid-long term)ā€¦ I also believe they should only show what was sent and not clear until purposefully clearedā€¦as long as project isnā€™t stopped or connection completely drops, requiring restart - as I suspect happens in this caseā€¦

However, this situation needs clarificationā€¦

@mimmo13 Are you keeping the project running and just ā€˜softā€™ closing (minimizing or switching to another app)ā€¦ not force closing the app itself?

@Dave1829 @Gunner I know, terminal widget is not the best choice for historical records. I tried table widget, but i donā€™t like that new entries go at bottom of the list without autoscroll. In your opinion, which kind of widget can I use to record data?

Some people use the history graph widget to export data to get data readings as a file, but I personally upload my data to thingspeak.com

1 Like

http://docs.blynk.cc/#widgets-displays-history-graph

1 Like

Yes. This is old bug. Iā€™ll try to fix it soon.
Created ticket - https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-server/issues/487 so you can track progress.

1 Like

Thank you @Dmitriy

The problem still exist also using Blynk.virtualWrite (Vx, inputString) . Very often the inputString is duplicated on Terminal widget . No way to solve . I am using a trick to bypass the problem using the AUTOSCROLL option and putting all text in a long single inputString .In this way , when there is a duplication , all the text simply scroll very fast .

Anyway I am still waiting for a definitive solution to this problem .

This is a very old topicā€¦ so I am closing it.

This ā€œissueā€ has been popping back a few times, probably for differing reasons and resolved with differing versions of App. Thus, whatever ā€œdefinitiveā€ solution will probably not happen until they (the developers) release the ā€œnewā€ version of Blynk.