Storing data on Blynk Server virtual pins

Hi,

If I send an a value to a virtual pin on the Blynk server. Will it be safely stored and able to be read back to my arduino sketch at a later date even if the arduino and app are restarted?

What if the server is restarted, if its a local server will the data be lost?

@NickMurray the value on the virtual pin is stored forever whether you restart the Arduino or the app.
It will only change if you write another value to the pin.

I don’t use local servers but my understanding is that they perform exactly the same as the cloud server.

Thanks @Costas. I’m testing it out now. I was going to try and save some information on the SD card of a w5100 ethernet sheild but I might try using the BLYNK virtual pins instead as I don’t need much storage and i’m guessing it will be easier than writing to an SD card.

Ok, I need a hand. I must not be understanding the documentation as what i’m doing is not working.

I’m doing this in my sketch one time (triggered by a button press)

Blynk.virtualWrite(V120, 1111,1234,6969);
Blynk.syncVirtual(V120);

Then I’m expecting this function to run and give me a serial output

BLYNK_WRITE(V120)
{
int x = param[0].asInt();
int y = param[1].asInt();
int z = param[2].asInt();
Serial.print("Read from V120 x value - “);
Serial.print(x);
Serial.print(” y value - “);
Serial.print(y);
Serial.print(” z value - ");
Serial.println(z);
}

Storage right now supports only 1 value per pin. Also you need to have a corresponding widget (value display for example). However this is will improved very soon. Here is ticket for that.

2 Likes

Use V120, V121 and V122 rather than just V120.

Thanks for the help guys. @Dmitriy solved it. I did not have a value display widget assigned in my APP project. Now that I do it works but not really what I am after as I do not want another display widget on the screen showing my stored data.

I see that there is an example sketch of an SD card reader in the Blynk examples. Is this a widget that is available now?

Nope. It just test sketch.

Yes I understand. But Blynk server was initially designed exactly for serving application needs :slight_smile:.

I’m not complaining. I love what you are building. I’ll use the SD card option for now. Thanks for the help

1 Like

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but is it still the case that in order to use/access data stored on a Virtual Pin you must have a Value Display linked to the pin you are trying to access. I see the GitHub ticket was closed, but when I remove the Value Display from my project it seems to stop working as expected.

No.

I remove the Value Display from my project it seems to stop working as expected.

Details please?

//#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>

#include <SimpleDHT.h>
int pinDHT11 = 4;
SimpleDHT11 dht11;

// You should get Auth Token in the Blynk App.
// Go to the Project Settings (nut icon).
char auth[] = "xxxx";

// Your WiFi credentials.
// Set password to "" for open networks.
char ssid[] = "Office Wifi Internet";
char pass[] = "quake233";
//char ssid[] = "GetYourOwnWifi";
//char pass[] = "SeptemberFirst";

const int sleepTimeM = 15; //Sleep Time Minutes Max 70

float bat;
float bat1;
int bat2;

char Buffer[16];
char Buffer1[16];

BlynkTimer timer;

BLYNK_WRITE(V3) {
  int value = param.asInt();

if (value == 1 && bat2 <=70)
{
  Blynk.notify("Battery LOW!!");
  Blynk.virtualWrite(V3, 0);
}
else if (bat2 <=50)
{
  Blynk.notify("Battery VERY LOW!! CHARGE NOW!!");
}
else if (bat2 >= 90){
Blynk.virtualWrite(V3, 1);
}
}

void sendSensor()
{
  //Blynk.notify("Device started");
  bat = analogRead(A0);
  bat1 = mapfloat(bat, 593, 937, 2.6, 4.2);
  bat2 = map(bat, 593, 937, 0, 100);
  dtostrf(bat1, 1, 2, Buffer); 

// read without samples.
  byte temperature = 0;
  byte humidity = 0;
  int err = SimpleDHTErrSuccess;
  if ((err = dht11.read(pinDHT11, &temperature, &humidity, NULL)) != SimpleDHTErrSuccess) {
    Serial.print("Read DHT11 failed, err="); Serial.println(err);
    return;
  }

Serial.print("Sample OK: ");
  Serial.print((int)temperature); Serial.print(" *C, "); 
  Serial.print((int)humidity); Serial.println(" H");

int tempF = (temperature * 1.8) + 32;
  Serial.print(tempF); Serial.print(" *F, ");

Blynk.virtualWrite(V5, Buffer);
  Blynk.virtualWrite(V6, bat2);
  Blynk.virtualWrite(V7, tempF);
  Blynk.virtualWrite(V8, humidity);

//Blynk.virtualWrite(V3, 5); //must run this first then comment out and reload code
  Blynk.syncVirtual(V3);

//ESP.deepSleep(sleepTimeM * 60000000);

}

float mapfloat(float x, float in_min, float in_max, float out_min, float out_max)
{
  return (x - in_min) * (out_max - out_min) / (in_max - in_min) + out_min;
}

void setup()
{
  // Debug console
  Serial.begin(115200);

Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass);

// Setup a function to be called every 20 second
  timer.setInterval(20000L, sendSensor);
}

void loop()
{
  Blynk.run();
  timer.run();
}

I am trying to monitor battery voltage, and send an alert when it gets below a certain percentage. I do not want to send a message every time it cycles (until it get really low), so I thought I would use a virtual pin as a flag. It seems that I first have to write the virtual pin to some value and run my code, then remove that line of code from the program and re-upload it. As long as I have a value widget assigned to that virtual pin it works just fine. If I remove the widget the virtual pin stops working and seems to just not exist. If I re-add the widget, I have to re-run the code that first assigns the virtual pin a value, then re-upload the code without it.

What do you mean by pin stops working?

It is like the BLYNK_WRITE (V3) never execute

How it should be executed if you have nothing assigned to it?

so a virtual pin must be assigned to a widget in order to access/store data

No. But

BLYNK_WRITE(V3)

is triggered from app with widget assigned to it. However I still don’t see how this is related to “access/data storing”.

Please read docs regarding virtual pins it has all answers - Introduction - Blynk Documentation

@Toro_Blanco Make sure you’ve saved a value before requesting.
i.e. in your sketch the Blynk.virtualWrite(V3, …); should be executed at least once before Blynk.syncVirtual(V3);