[SOLVED]What Arduino version Blynk needs?

I am having troubles using Blynk and Arduino IDE on my Raspberry Pi.

Anyone knows what is the required Arduino IDE version for latest Blynk
version, old IDE might be the reason… ?

Should have been mentioned somewhere but can’t find that anymore

What do you mean? What exactly do you want to achieve?

I have Arduino 1.0.4 installed on my Raspberry Pi and seems it is too old version for Blynk. What version Blynk requires?

Instruction says “load the latest version of Arduino” but problem is that 1.6.7 (?) can not be installed to Raspian Wheezy version.

And I am not willing to update Raspberry as it is already in use controlling my solar heating system…

I’d recommend 1.6.5. I never had any troubles with that.

@kariky the Raspberry Pi can become your ‘Blynk’ server i.e. a local server running java. If you need access to the Pi over the internet you can expose the required ports with port forwarding.

What is it you wish to do with Blynk and the Pi i.e. does the Pi need to be available via the internet or would it just be local control?

@Lichtsignaal do you have 1.6.5 on your Pi?

Many months ago I installed Arduino on one of my Pi’s but I can’t remember which version it was.

No, I don’t run an X-server on my Pi (CLI for the win :wink: ) so I don’t even know if it’s possible. It’s just the version I use on my Mac/Win machines which works great :slight_smile:

@kariky wants to run Arduino on the Pi. I know it is possible but I don’t know how often it is updated and if it has all the features required for Blynk. My gut feeling is that it can be done.

Sorry didn’t mention that Pi is only for programming the Arduino, both located in the boiler room in a water tight case. Raspberry Pi is controlled from living room with my PC so i can reprogram the Arduino with PC through Pi when needed. When i wii in the future be satisfied with the Arduino program the Pi will have another task.

Arduino has an Ethernet shield now sending temperatures etc when connecting to it over internet (noip & portfwd) but i would like to change that my first Blynk project.

So when I tried to use Blynk libraries my setup didn’t work maybe because of an old version of Arduino IDE (?).

But all that is irrelevant, i just want to know what Arduino IDE version Blynk requires :grin:

With most software it is always recommended to use the latest version so 1.6.7. I was reluctant to move to 1.6.7 as I heard bad things about it but it seems ok.

I now use ESP’s as they are far more powerful and considerably cheaper than Arduinos and a new release of ESP8266 for Arduino was released within the last week. I haven’t moved over to the new one yet as I want to know it performs ok before making the move.

We have our systems set up so we can flash new sketches to the ESP’s remotely. If you have access to a regular computer are you able to install 1.6.7 and upload sketches to your Arduino over your LAN?

I think the references you saw about an old version of Arduino might be related to having the libraries set up wrongly at your end. Do you have the 5 recommended libraries in the structure shown on the latest Blynk release page https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-library/releases/tag/v0.3.3

Thank you Costas, have to check my installation again.

Have talso check ESP8266 too but obviously no 1-wire bus for BS1820 sensors i have 9 in use.

We have 1-wire devices hooked up to our ESP’s. In fact they are DS1820 sensors.

Our sketches include the following:

#include <OneWire.h>
#include <DallasTemperature.h>
#define ONE_WIRE_BUS 14      // DS18B20 GPIO 14 Wemos D5
OneWire oneWire(ONE_WIRE_BUS);
DallasTemperature DS18B20(&oneWire);

If ultimately you go the ESP route take a look at the Wemos D1 Mini’s. Just $4 delivered from China and they have 4MB memory, lots of pins and built in WiFi. They use regular 5V USB connection so no messing about with regulators that you get with other ESP’s.

Note to self, buy share in Wemos :slightly_smiling:

Oh dear, now that’s finally working fine :grinning:

• Arduino 1.0.4 installed to Raspberry Pi,
  • UNO connected to Raspi with USB,
  • Programming with PC using Xming connection to Raspi
  • :cake:
1 Like

Sounds like a nice set up.