"SmartLED Controller" - ESP+FastLED+Blynk (Video)

Cool man… the code im releasing soon will tackle a few issues that have arised in the new firmware versions. So do expect it to crash or freeze if you run the current code on the github repo with the latest Blynk library.

Great project, thanks!

Getting an error when trying to compile or upload ;

exit status 1
‘varSpeed’ was not declared in this scope

Thanks!

@issacsim it’s declared as a global variable at line 10. Did you follow the instructions?

1 Like

Thank you.
I found the problem, copied extra text “```cpp” from the read me file into the Wifi Credentials file.

Once I removed it, it compiled correctly.

Hey @issacsim, which part of hte readme did you get confused at? I’ll make some changes… or if you have a github account please makes the changes yourself and make a push request :slight_smile:

hello sir just one q am lil confused
am using one controller for myswimmingpool andits working great .
and iwanna add another controller which is my Gazibo
first i need to add device and then i need to add in the code

#define NICKNAME                    "Swimming_Pool"
#define NICKNAME                   "gazibo"

also in the manu widget Gazibo
then ill change the new token for the with the one i create for the gazibo .
thats all i need to do?
i tried it didnt work i dont know if am missing some thing
i would appreciate ur help thank u
and great job

hey @dananmo,

Check out the following note in the settings.h file.

Basically you will need to just change a few lines in the settings.h, recompile and upload to your new hardware. This code using a single Auth code for all your devices. A new version which I’m working on will include the option to use a separate auth code for each device, but not yet.

Thank u very much sir

1 Like

You said this will not work on an ESP-01. Why? I have the ESP-01s variant, which has 1Mb of memory

1Mb is not enough. Need at least 4Mb.

Are you using SPIFFS in your sketch?

If not, the 1MB variant of the ESP01 has the same programmable memory as 4MB ESP’s.

Hmm from memory, it may have been an issue with OTA updates?

I have your GitHub open now. I might flash your sketch.

AFAIK OTA uses the same 1MB of programmable memory space and therefore the sketch needs to be less than 0.5MB for OTA to work. 1MB ESP-01 again would work.

2 Likes

Sketch compiles as 279277 bytes (26%)
So OTA should be fine on a 1MB ESP-01.

@Jamin with NodeMCU board selected in the IDE it fails to compile with:

#define DATA_PIN 12 // GPIO12 / D6 on WeMos/NodeMCU ESP8266

but it’s ok with:

#define DATA_PIN 2 // was 12 // GPIO12 / D6 on WeMos/NodeMCU ESP8266

Any idea why the FastLED library would accept pin 2 but not pin 12?

Great to know! As this is an old (one of my originals) then it may have just been ignorance which lead me to believe the ESP-01 was unable to work.
Thanks @Costas! :smiley:

The ESP-01 only has GPIO1 and 2 … so I imagine trying to use 12 wasn’t going to work?

It fails to compile as an NodeMCU with pin 12, the issue is not related to ESP-01.
The regular pins on an ESP-01 are 0 and 2 but TX and RX can also be used.

http://www.forward.com.au/pfod/ESP8266/GPIOpins/ESP8266_01_pin_magic.html

Thats awsome! thanks for the clarifacation

I flashed several ESP-01’s today with @Jamin’s sketch, including updates via OTA. All was fine.

I don’t have any fancy LED’s so I have no idea if it works but the sliders and buttons I added (because I couldn’t scan the QR) were OK.

1 Like

Yet another roadblock… the university I want to use this at has WPA-Enterprise(802.1x) security, which requires a username and password to connect. Is there an easy way to implement this into the code?

@zhus check on the ESP8266 GitHub if it now supports WPA-Enterprise. I think the master branch might now have it.