Quick button to zoom out Map to "default" or whole continent / side of planet size

I have a project that is showing the GPS location of my hardware (mobile property alarm system). When the trigger is received, I see the pin on the map widget. Sometimes the map zooms in to the pin location, sometimes not.

Alarm Triggered-No Zoom

I noticed that when I have the map widget set to read my phone location there is a small icon to zoom in on the pin location.

Zoom Icon-circled in red

Is there a way to zoom back out to the “default” map size? Since my project is for mobile property, the hardware could be located anywhere on the map and it would be nice to be able to start back at the “default” map size after clearing the map of pins.

Default Map Size

The only way I have found is to pinch the screen and perhaps that is the only way? I read the docs, searched the community, googled and youtube’d…I have not found an answer.

Thanks in advance

There is no “default” map size. The map is zoomed out just when there were no pins added yet.

Button on the top right zooms to show all pins visible.
Button on the bottom right zooms to your location.
You can set custom location/zoom by pinching the map.

And map follows newly added pins so the user is aware of changes. So, I don’t quite understand your needs here.

Hi @Eugene
thanks for your reply. The map is zoomed out when there are no pins added yet-this is what I have referred to as “default” size. My project is an alarm system for a vehicle. The user arms the system. If the vehicle moves outside a GEOFENCE, the device is triggered in to ALARM and starts plotting pins. The map zooms in to the pins and of course you you can use the button on the top right to show all the pins on the map (zoom out so to speak). Now, when the ALARM event is over and user clears the map ( myMap.clear(); which I have assigned to V8) all the pins are cleared from the map. The map remains at the zoom level it was it prior to the pins being cleared. Since the device is mobile in nature, the vehicle could be anywhere on the map for the next use, not necessarily where it was the last time a pin was dropped. So, I was wondering if there was a way to reset the map. Apparently you have answered the only way is to pinch the map. A nice feature would be to add a zoom out icon, opposite of the zoom in on the bottom right.

Even Google Maps doesn’t do that… the norm is the pinch to scale.

The upper icon (pins in the magnifying glass) WILL zoom out to show all your data points… not sure why you would need (via one touch) to see areas of the map NOT related to your application.

Perhaps further clarification?

Hello @Gunner
Thanks for your reply. Ill do my best to explain what I was talking about but it seems as I am already 0 for 2!

I am not sure what your point is here. I dont think Blynk settles for the norm in anything it is capable of. The pinch is very slow to respond, at least on my iPhone 6S version 10.2.1.

Understood. That works fine as long as there are pins on the map.

Explained above. Pinch is slow (at least on my phone) and clunky. The areas of the map are related to my application in my opinion.

I dont really understand this comment either. What do you call the size of the map when you load it to your project? Starting size? Maybe defualt size?

In my expericence, sometimes the map zooms in when a pin is dropped and sometimes it does not. Where I live is not heavily populated and there are not a lot of roads. So, if it zooms in and I clear the pins I am left with a screen that looks like this. Please keep in mind this alarm wil be used to track the theft of a vehicle. (So, no telling where the vehicle may be located the next time the alarm is triggered) Now, the next time the ALARM is triggered and a pin is dropped, if the map does not zoom to the pin location the user is left with a blank map and a blank stare on his/her face. Yes, they can use the top right button to find the next pin.

The main point is, I am fine with the functionality offered by the map as it is now. I intially wondered if I was missing something on how to zoom out. If I was tracking my stolen vehicle I might want the ability to zoom in and out quickly to establish where my vehicle might be traveling to.

I’d be curious to hear about others experience with the pinch to zoom in and out. Again, perhaps it is just me and my phone.

Thanks for your time and I hope I have at least explained what my issue was.

I think you just answered your own dilemma… for all intents of your project, pressing that one, already existing ‘button’, will zoom out to encompass every data point. No blank stares and no need to allocate resources to another button… and a scroll bar, and satellite, and auto/manual compass orientation… etc…

I guess my point is Blynk doesn’t have the resources of the Google Map team.

But you have made your request, let it sit and see where, if anywhere, it goes from here…

PS, satellite is not a bad idea :stuck_out_tongue:

Explain further please!

Google Maps have a satellite view, so you see actual satellite photo coverage (a few years old, but still), not just a lined map.

Oh ok, Understood. Thanks again for your time

I also found the pinch to zoom very painful.

You pinch the PHONE screen, not yourself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@Costas Glad to hear it is not just me!

The point was not in naming. At the moment, we don’t have such (a “default”) location/scale defined in first place in order to be able to instruct a map to show it. What you referring to as a “default” state is a state of a map when “location/scale were not instructed” and really depends on a system and who knows what.

If the map does not automatically zoom (so that newly added pin is visible) - it’s a bug.

1 Like

@Eugene so did that mean you are looking for a bug? You can see the result I am referring to in the very first picture I posted in this thread.
Thanks

I’ll check. The very first picture doesn’t look like a bug. The bug would be when newly added pin is not visible.

Ok, Thank you

@Eugene
just wondering if you found anything related to a bug. I am now getting my geofence alarm but it is not dropping a pin consistently.
Thanks

We’ve found a bug relative to a map scale after new pin was added. Please wait for an update to proceed your testing.

Ouch. Any idea the time frame? I have PCB’s ready to go to manufacture but I do not want to send out until I am sure I do not need to make changes. Thanks for finding the bug!

It’s been already delayed, but I’m positive it should be out next week. Are you planning on publishing a standalone app? (http://www.blynk.io/plans)