Plus account: staff can no longer access devices [initially erroneously attributed to Pro account]

[EDIT: the issue described applies to the PLUS account - mea culpa for attributing it to a pro account - please read the thread accordingly - apologies for the confusion]

As of a little while ago, our “staff” users can no longer access their devices. They show up, but they can’t push a button or edit anything. The “fix” was to upgrade them to “admin”. Except, so I thought, only 1 admin is allowed in the pro account.

What am I missing? I’m a bit concerned that once this bug - assuming it is a bug - is resolved, I get locked out of my account because I have too many admins.

Hello, @agm did you check permissions for “staff” users?

Well, yes. Except I didn’t change any permissions; and that’s, in part, because as a pro user, I can’t edit them. My Roles & Permission panel states that Admin, Staff & User can “control devices” - I believe that’s what’s needed to, e.g., push a button. The button is visible, but cannot be pressed by a user in ‘staff’ mode (whereas previously, that was possible, with the same the roles & permissions settings)

Yes you can, if you have a PRO account.
It’s Free and Plus account users that can’t edit permissions.

Pete.

@agm Edit button shoul be clickable for PRO plan. What is your server?

If you don’t know your server, you can read this how to find it Recommendations for creating a new topic in Forum

@agm What exact button do you mean? Button on the device dashboard? Is that ios/android/web? How exactly you can’t press it? Do you see some erorr? Or button is disabled? Or click does nothing?

a big mea culpa: I got the “plus” plan, not the pro plan. As I wrote this post, I looked it up wrong. Apologies for the confusion. Feel free to delete this thread if this is more confusing than anything.

That said, the problem is real, except in the plus plan.

Device: home thermostat based on a ESP8266 device.

I am a “Plus” plan member and my wife is set as a staff member in the organization. Previously, both my wife and I could control the thermostat. I still have the ability to do so however my wife has lost the ability to change any setpoint like temperature; in fact, any control selection from her phone appears blank.

On the other hand outputs appear to display correctly, like LEDs indications, temperature and humidity readings, etc…

She tried logging out and back on; no change in the problem.

This appears to be a new problem. Any suggestions for a solution?

Device: home thermostat based on a ESP8266 device.

I am a “Plus” plan member and my wife is set as a staff member in the organization. Previously, both my wife and I could control the thermostat. I still have the ability to do so however my wife has lost the ability to change any setpoint like temperature; in fact, any control selection from her phone appears blank.

On the other hand outputs appear to display correctly, like LEDs indications, temperature and humidity readings, etc…

She tried logging out and back on; no change in the problem.

This appears to be a new problem. Any suggestions for a solution?

Transfer device under your spouse’s account. You will continue to have access to it as admin, she’ll be able to control it as well

Thank you for the quick response. I made the change and it’s working again.

Regards,

Roger

Could you please expand on what the changed/new philosophy is. The simple use case where I noticed the problem was our driveway gate. 2 users isn’t enough - the entire family would like to be able to use it. I’m okay making them all admins, but that can hardly be the purpose.

please explane the change you did …

I transferred the device to my wife’s (who is included in my staff) by going to my devices tab and clicking on the three dots (…) at the end of the device where a option to transfer the device was available. From my understanding I still retain all my controls since I am the administrator.

Regards,

Roger