NodeMCU + Blynk + OTA disconnect all!

Yes and we really don’t know why :thinking:

I have a feeling that the network traffic generated by the process of doing a Bonjour Browser scan is what the IDE sees, and allows it to populate the ports menu, but that’s just a guess.

It works, and that’s the main thing!

Pete.

1 Like

Precisely what is it for? However I use Ubuntu OS

Follow the link and you’ll see.

Pete.

1 Like

linux equivalent to bonjour is avahi.
it is a zeroconf tool for peripherals attached to network to be able to communicate with each other without a need of pre-configuring them (mDNS, etc.) - apparently, arduino ide relies on this - it (or something else) sends out the multicast DNS query to figure out the ip of the target. And the devices replies.
I’m not well familiar with the details, but there’s probably also some discovery made on regular intervals - using the bonjour browser, etc. just triggers such discover for your arduino ide.

Hi @PeteKnight, take into consideration you can build your own repeater using the Esp8266…

1 Like

yes but on a practical level what should be done? there is nothing written there. Do I just have to install it?
Thanks

After installation what should i do? Can I use phone application also?
thanks

You just have to install “bonjour” service and reboot your PC :wink:

I just install Avahi, or at least I think.
is this enough also in linux?
Thanks

IDK about Linux, I never use it :wink:

and in windows?What do you do?

This wasn’t enough for you?..

Pete.

just this I wanted to understand. It seemed like a passive system, just install.unfortunately I don’t use windows.

You run it when needed…

Can’t get much clearer than that.

Pete.

sure I thank you, I wanted to understand if someone on ubuntu used it.

download bonjour for windows

https://docs.zoho.com/file/3erd338137f3cbaf4401fb9f62d207c49d998

I’m running fedora. Running avahi-daemon should be enough. It runs in the background and keeps the mdns records up to date (ips<->hostnames mappings). that should be enough. If the port won’t show up, you can debug the issue by running avahi-browse -a.
Don’t forget to open up appropriate ports on your firewall (5353/udp) on both your workstation firewall as well as the firewall on your switch (if any).

my experience with OTA was that despite the fact, that i was able to discover the esp8266 services over avahi service, arduino ide (1.8.5) didn’t show the port. after I updated to 1.8.10 it worked.

I just run deamon but after I don’t understand what you say. Sorry, but I’m not expert…
I noticed that the esp doesn’t respond to ping, even though it’s connected to blynk.

As always, I use a test esp8266. I uploaded the code and even if I reboot the PC several times, arduino always finds the OTA port (I’m trying this all while I’m working and I’m not at home). Find port also if I restar Arduino Ide. I installed Avahi last night. and started the deamon but it didn’t work. Now at work I see that everything works. This evening I’ll try at home, if I don’t find the port then it can always be the usual problem of weak connection.