New! Alpha version of the blynk-library for Python!

Good news here.
I found some time to do a major rewrite of the Python library!
It now contains only my code (previously some code was written by another guy), works better with MicroPython (LoBo/ESP32, etc.), and what’s most interesting - does not have the ugly concept of “tasks”.
It now works similar to Arduino - you have to run Blynk in a loop (but you can also use _thread).

I’m now polishing it, preparing some “getting started” docs, etc.

4 Likes

So, how are things going in the micropython world? Tried importing blynklib to my m5stack module, but isn’t working :\

Hi…Does the python library work with local server? i ran the blynk_write.py example and look what i got… my pi is not connected to the internet.
Connecting to blynk-cloud.com:80
Error: connection with the Blynk servers failed, connection closed

I know nothing about Python, but I’d assume that you need to edit your BlynkLib.py

def connect(self):
       try:
           self.conn = socket.socket()
           self.conn.connect(socket.getaddrinfo("blynk-cloud.com", 80)[0][4])
           self.conn.settimeout(0.05)
           BlynkProtocol.connect(self)
       except:
           raise ValueError('connection with the Blynk servers failed')

Pete.

3 Likes

Yes… and a little searching later… :wink:

1 Like

Be aware that with the next update, it will be easier to change the server (still in the works)

2 Likes

Next update this week.
:thinking:

probably

1 Like

I have been slack in getting to this, but saw some recent changed on github, so after seeing that running the documented install file still gets 0.1.3. I just manually downloaded what looks like the latest Python 0.2.0 library and have it sitting in my RPi… There is a nice file called setup.py, but I can’t seem to get it to actually live up to its name :stuck_out_tongue:

The first lines in the file show this…

#!/usr/bin/env python

from setuptools import setup

Which doesn’t tell me much either… I looked for that folder, thinking I might find that setuptools program, but the folder doesn’t yet exist.

Googling a bit (yep I do that :wink: ) it seems I must setup setuptools in order to setup Blynk’s Python setup?? Wow… This linux/python stuff is hard :blush:

Any hints here? before I totally pooch my RPi setup :laughing:

In the same folder as setup.py, run:

pip3 install ./

or

pip2 install ./

Depending on the Python version you want to use the library with.
Anyway. The library 0.2.0 is almost ready for release (still working on some examples)

v0.2.0 is released and available via github and pip.

Please check out the new README and examples.

:star2: :star2::star2: And of course, do not forget to give it a github star! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well that was a lot smoother :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks.

pi@raspberrypi3:~ $ pip install blynk-library-python
Collecting blynk-library-python
  Downloading https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/37/01/91c464c3f9a36ad96e397c9652a339fbde71a3de99eabc22e7de6b2f3923/blynk-library-python-0.2.0.tar.gz
Building wheels for collected packages: blynk-library-python
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for blynk-library-python ... done
  Stored in directory: /home/pi/.cache/pip/wheels/fc/d4/df/7128f5d8bf6e86fba6107a971acb3f695fbde461a74dc75205
Successfully built blynk-library-python
Installing collected packages: blynk-library-python
Successfully installed blynk-library-python-0.2.0

Now back to the Local Server issue… but I think an answer was in some other topic already… so back to reading :slight_smile:

Found a reference here - how to change to Blynk local server · Issue #18 · vshymanskyy/blynk-library-python · GitHub

But I want to be able to pick and chose the server option in my sketch :thinking: Like this:

# Initialize Blynk
blynk = BlynkLib.Blynk(BLYNK_AUTH, '10.10.3.13', 8080)
pi@raspberrypi3:~ $ python PythonTest.py

___  __          __
   / _ )/ /_ _____  / /__
  / _  / / // / _ \/  '_/
 /____/_/\_, /_//_/_/\_\
        /___/ for Python v0.2.0 (Linux)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "PythonTest.py", line 17, in <module>
    blynk = BlynkLib.Blynk(BLYNK_AUTH, '10.10.3.13', 8080)
TypeError: __init__() takes exactly 2 arguments (4 given)
pi@raspberrypi3:~ $ 

OK, I figured that out… mostly… the log=print causes compiling error with Python 2.7, so more investigation required.

blynk = BlynkLib.Blynk(BLYNK_AUTH,
                       server='10.10.3.13',    # set server address
                       port=8080,              # set server port
                       heartbeat=30,           # set heartbeat to 30 secs
                       #log=print              # use print function for debug logging
                       )

In fact, it seems lots of rethinking is required as there is no longer tasks? and needing the while true: for blynk.run() and a few other issues with my existing sketches.

Time to relearn Blynk Python by digging into the new examples :smiley: Gave it a star on github (not sure why I hadn’t before)

You can’t use print directly, since it is an intrinsic and not a function. I had to do this:

def myprint(*argv):
    for arg in argv:
        print (arg),
    print

Then you can say:

blynk = BlynkLib.Blynk(BLYNK_AUTH,
                       server='10.10.3.13',    # set server address
                       port=8080,              # set server port
                       heartbeat=30,           # set heartbeat to 30 secs
                       log=myprint             # use myprint function for debug logging
                       )

That’s the reason for

from __future__ import print_function

in this example: https://github.com/vshymanskyy/blynk-library-python/blob/master/examples/other_functions.py

1 Like

@vshymanskyy
Hi,
why isn’t the BlynkTimer.py file installed with the lib? I had to copy/paste the code to make the timers work.

BTW, keep up with the great job you’re doing.

It’s on the master branch, which is not released yet

Please continue discussion here: