My RPi Zero W as AP and Local Server

OK, not a tutorial as that has been done… but just a quick post about my just completed attempt at making my own, just to see if I could :stuck_out_tongue:

I already had Raspbian Stretch loaded and setup with VNC, so all I needed to do was install a Blynk Local Server and set it up as a WiFi Access point.

Once I installed Java 8, I cheated a bit by simply transferring a copy of my existing Local Server over, using WinSCP to make the copy of the folder from my existing Server (running on a Linux Mint flavored Netbook) and VNC to copy it over to the RPi Zero.

This gave me a ready to go account and projects and all I needed to do was make a few SSID & IP changes to any existing sketch so it would connect to this Server.

I setup the AP by following most of these instructions I found online… I skipped the “share an internet connection (Bridge)” part at the end… don’t need it as I could supply internet to the RPi via Bluetooth from my phone for updates, etc.

Anyhow, it all worked as advertised :smiley:

I think my next project with this setup will be adding in Blynk as a client onto the RPi itself, and blink some LEDs or something direct off it’s own GPIOs.

The Portable Blynk trifecta, Server, Client and AP for the App, all in one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Looking forward :smiley: