Local server clarification

Good day to all in this forum.
I am very new to this forum.
I just need a clarification on the Blynk local server operation in practice: Does a local server run on the esp8366 alone or a pc / laptop have to be left ON for all the time long ?
So does it work using my Home WIFI and my mobile only ?
Thanks for all,
regards,
Ambro

Blynk local server won’t run on an ESP.
You can run it in a laptop/PC, but as you say, it has to be on all the time (and not sleeping).
I think it’s fair to say that most people run their local server on a Raspberry Pi of one sort or another. The Pi 3 is very affordable and would be my first choice.

If you want to use your phone to control/receive data from your home devices when you’re away from your home Wi-Fi then you’ll need to configure port forwarding on your router and if you don’t have a static IP address from your ISP then you’ll need to use a dynamic DNS service like NoIP.com

Is there a specific reason why you want to use a local servere rather than the Blynk cloud servers?

Pete.

Thanks Pete, I understand that the device that will run the blynk server is the Rasp.
Is there any link to learn more ?
I do prefer to have a private server … i have the idea that blynk server could be shutdown in the future without my control… that is it.
Thanks again.
Ambro

If you search the forum there are lots of guides and a couple of very useful looking cheat-sheets on getting a local server up and running.

Personally, I prefer to use the cloud server because it’s less hassle than keeping a local server updated. That might change at some point in future, but for now I’d rather focus on hardware and the software that runs on them rather than building and maintaining a local server.

Pete,.

Well, if that happens the App may be discontinued as well I guess.

2 Likes