iOS Eventor Widget

As per several other threads I’ve glossed over dating back at least 3-4yrs…is there a roadmap available for this functionality to ever hit iOS? I find it both perplexing and preposterous after such a very long time eventor is still missing.

Thoughts/comments, welcomed :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jason

Personally, I have yet to see an application where Eventor is a better solution than handling the process in code, but to shed some light on your question…

The beta version of “Blynk 2.0” was announced almost two years ago, but has yet to emerge.
In the topic about this it was said…

The latest (one day ago) update on this was…

However, there is currently no word on whether or not this version will be free to developers as with the current version, and whether a local server version will be available.

Pete.

1 Like

Thanks for your response Pete…As I suggest above, I only glossed over various eventor threads, realising they were posted quite some time ago. Figuring they didn’t get favourable responses and in conjunction with your comment about beta 2.0 being spoken of two years ago, I’m left wondering if Blynk is an avenue worth walking long term :expressionless:

Personally, I think so.
But as I said, I think Eventor is a “non feature” and, much like Bluetooth support I’d prefer to see it dropped altogether.

I’m sure that the new version will be released at some point, hopefully in a free or highly affordable version, and I don’t think that there is much out there to compete with Blynk’s functionality.

Pete.

Encouraging words Pete, as I see you’re pretty active here…

My main reason for needing an ‘eventor-esque’ widget on iOS stems from a project I’m currently working on which is pretty timer intensive, in so much I have eight channels that need discrete timed pulsed on and off signals that may also need grouping. Sorry if that sounds a bit vague, it’s somewhat off topic for this thread - I’ll create another and see what functionality is recommended.

Coming back to the beta of the commercial offering -v- free version we’re using. I’ve installed a local private Blynk server purely to combat the need to pay for energy. My personal feelings on the setup offered is the personal account is too restrictive, the commercial offerings are crazy expensive. With a bit of thought on the devs end, Blynk could be the Arduino of mobile app-to-nodemcu go to setup.

In what way? Are you talking about limited functionality?

There is certainly talk of a ‘middle ground’ offering, but the bottom line is that all commercial projects are hosted by Blynk on a private server (virtualised I guess, but individual to a client) and it’s the customisation that is expensive - but which also drives the development of the overall product. At the end of the day would you prefer to be supporting a small number of high paying clients, or a massive number of clients who are paying peanuts but moaning about the costs even though they are miniscule?

Pete.

Restrictive Pete was the wrong word to use… think limited - I’d like the ability to be able to squirt out a clone app for projects, than rely on using the host app itself.

In terms of costs… It’s patently obvious who the Blynk market their product for, and I’m not sure what middle ground you’re thinking off but $415/mth as an ongoing cost for a business is pretty exorbitant. Even just 5% of that for a personal project, on a monthly subscription, is outlandish. Ultimately I guess it depends on the overriding marketing plan dictates.

I go back to my original point walking this virtual avenue…it is worth it long term? I’ve only scratched the surface in these community pages and features asked of from a very very long time ago are spoken about and basically left to fester by the devs. A beta two years in the making with no sign of it being made public…speaks reams.

That said, I’ll continue tinkering with Blynk…see what gives…

The guys at Blynk have talked about different (more affordable) pricing options for people who aren’t looking for the full-blown subscription, but no figures have ever been discussed.

That would certainly be easier with Android than iOS, but as you’ve said you’re an iOS users then that’s never going to happen - unless Apple start making the process easier rather than more difficult.

In fairness to Blynk, the new version is in daily use - but with the paying customers. The issue is with the free customers like us, and I think that’s where the issue is. Packaging the new version in a way which going to work (whilst sill maintaining the existing cloud servers for the users who don’t want to upgrade), documenting everything in end user terms rather than developer speak, and launching the product is all stuff that takes time and therefore costs money, but gives no real ROI.

Having said that, the whole thing has been handled very badly and can’t help but damage Blynk’s reputation in some way.

I still think that the current free version is a long way ahead of anything else out there in the free/affordable bracket. I’ve looked at other HA systems and tried a few, but nothing compares to Blynk for me.

Pete.