Introducing Blynk Energy - first paid services

In all of the debate over ‘energy’, i missed something. “first paid service”

Now i dont believe this is strictly true; as you offer a professional service to businesses using the same technology, (wouldn’t have any bearing if kickstarter hadn’t paid for the initial dev) but that’s actually beside the point in this context.

How many other paid services are planned? what are they? how will they be priced? will they be an alternative to ‘energy’, or another thing users will have to pay for?

The obvious exporter to make a standalone app from a dashboard must be on the cards, and id say that would have been my first choice for monetising the app, add a new feature that people pay for and they can then let their family etc use the app to manage their device or system.

Paid themes are another obvious choice. I’m not sure why you’d choose energy over these but still, people love customisation; so themes, or a theming engine and store where users could create sell their themes and you make a cut off the top would likely attract some previously uninterested designers an make money with very little effort on your part. Combining the two would be an obvious step.

But then i would have said all of that as obvious as a monetisation strategy, and you came up with energy, charging users for what they got for free before, here’s how the press reacted to similar move recently and they only moved two features into the new paid plan, you’ve moved everything.

Do you have a roadmap for paid services. If you have a business plan with a goal of making money then you do.

Will you show the community the roadmap you have for paid services so we can decide whether or not you can be trusted, understand this supply and demand thing, or if e need to to look for another vendor.

1 Like

SMS is one of them. Price depends on destination number and SMS gateway provider prices.

Yes. This is where we will move next. (after we will introduce few new features)

Agree. Both hands up. But truth is - all this require time, resources and money. Development is not free even Blynk seems very simple. We stayed free as much as we could (thanks to kick backers), but now we can’t. We would love to make Blynk free for makers again, but not now.

1 Like

Blynk - I think in general the folks here are not disputing having to pay for a service. The issue is the poor execution with it’s introduction. Take it for what it’s worth, but here are a few suggestions:

1. You are responding to specific questions in a thread. This is going to get lost for other / new users. Every time someone new comes in, they are going to ask the same questions. You should have a sticky post here and take lessons learned from this thread and dump them into the Q&A. Or update the Docs section on your site.

2. Provide samples so we can better understand how this will work. i.e the recycling concept.

3. Provide a diagram that shows the cost of each widget. Instead of making everyone go into the app and try to find it.

4. Show how to purchase energy. Video or something.

I checked the docs section and you still Blynk is free there. A lot of what is going on in this thread could have been mitigated if you had a better communication plan. As noted earlier, the email you sent was too vague. Don’t mean to be harsh - just trying to provide some constructive criticism. I love this app and cant wait to show off my next project where I’ll be using it.

Just my 2c…

1 Like

To keep the community vibe going, one thing that’s new enough that you may not have considered it is to come back to the community and see if crowd-investing would work to get you to a point where you could be offering value add servies rather then charging for what was previously free.

I invested in Sugru when they ran their very successful campaign and it was seen very positively that they were giving not just the original backers, but the whole community that had grown around the product a chance to help it, but also get something back in the form of equity in the business rather than kickstarter style ‘perks’ Many people only invested $20 or $30 but after deciding to let more of the business be in the hands of it’s new thousands of shareholders, they raised more than triple what they needed for their global expansion unless that company becomes worth bilions, I’m never going to get rich from that investment, biut i know that a product i love is avaialable in more shops now, and every time I seee someone else buying some, there’s a little part of my brain thiniking how i just made a ten thousanth of a penny or some other tiny number, but it makes me happy, and thets what i actually invested in, a company whos reaction to needing more funds was to sell some of the businesss to their customers, and if you look at th campaign stats, for that £3,000,000 (which is abut $4.2million right now) they only sold 12ish% of the business.

I dont even have dividend rights, but i get a quarterly shareholders update to let me know what they have done and what’s on he roadmap for the next quarter. And that makes me part of something, im partly behind the scenes! It’s exciting and if i emailed a suggestion, they’d reply, one day that might happen if my area of knowledge is something hey talk about in the shareholders update. That whole experience, which will carry on until the company dies or I do which was easily worth the £30 i invested.

Would that work for you, i dont know, but (and this is my area of knowledge) it sounds like you need an additional development team, and maybe another team of fixed term contractors to be working on getting all the features you need completed in a much shorter timeframe. Then yo’d need project managers and a programme manager, and probably some community managers, a uservoice account so people can tell you whats’s important to them, and someone running the open source server community, because it looks like you have 5 contributors, which might be users, or might be your staff, but if it was promoted and managed, you could build that to tens, maybe hundreds of contributors in time, and that would be your server software sorted, because why would you need a separate version when the open source one is as good as it would be with all that in place.

As i say, this is my field, which is why it was frustrating me so much before, I don’t mind being a sounding board a bit more privately if you’d like. If you would, just add me on twitter or linkedin I’m @jamieisboss everywhere, even linkedin, I’ll send you my work email, we can chat and I’ll see if there’s anything else i can think of to help. (though to be honest, i think i just gave you the best idea going, if i was billing you, it’d be $1000 a minute for this message, payable only when and if you have 100x that invested from your community [who you should love like family; treat them at the holidays, help them make money through your services, and never take toys away from])

No worries if you dont need my offer of a sounding bard, it’s just there if you want it

Best Regards

Jamie

3 Likes

Hey Blynk team,

I wanna say I am super thrilled I can finally pay a bit for Blynk. You guys deserve every cent and I wont dispute. I use your service all the time. But I agree with most people here that recycling isnt a fun idea as I too always move shit around a few dozen times in the course of only an hour. I often switch between LEDs, lcd and terminal widget for example.

Side note: I cant wait to be able to pay for a proper business theme for my app, export it, sms options. And I would pay for the privelege of “unlocking cool widgets” and future releases. I dont mind paying for sharing my app. But I feel that once I have “unlocked - paid” for a widget, I should be allowed to move it as often as I like.

( Either way, if this is what you guys think is best, I SUPPOrt!
You guys need funding, we need Blynk to stay healthy :wink: )

2 Likes

What this guy said. I ll buy Blynk stock (however small or big if it was very transparent what i was getting), I’d welcome an opportuniy to get the original kickstarter deal, I’d pay for the app.

Sparkfun seem to like the idea https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13794

Congratulations to Blynk, you deserve it.

1 Like

I have setup my local server for the blynk and i don’t use the cloud… Why must pay for energy?

1 Like

I must say I kind of agree with the above statement. I run a local server so most of the cloud costs I’d pay for using energy I"m not even using. Isn’t it a possibility to add a separate payment plan for local server users? After all, we are not using bandwidth and resources in the cloud.

As vmware, Microsoft and Citrix do, there are many types of licenses depending on the usage of their products. I’d be happy to pay a yearly fee for full usage of everything on a local device instead of cloud. I can imagine the more Blynk is used, the more the cloud resources will cost. Let’s say I’d pay 40$ a year for a full Local license and someone else pays as they go along because they use cloud services and use energy.

People like to be able to choose what suits their needs best. I’m intending to use Blynk as a product to demonstrate IoT on schools and other educational events, but with the Energy I think the fun will be drained out soon (pun intended!). Choice is, I think, what most people struggle here with. I definitely think you guys need to be paid, one way or the other, but I’m not 100% sure this is the right way and I think we need to able to make choices on how to support Blynk :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love Blynk, I enjoy a lot playing with it and my Arduinos but I don’t like the idea of loosing Energy every time I remove a widget… I want to support Blynk and I’d rather pay for a full license and feel free to add and remove widgets everytime I want.
Moreover I’m a Local server guy… I don’t use your server, for you no matter the number of widgets I add to my dashboards.

We will fix it today-tomorrow. Please be patient. We do our best. Sorry for inconveniences and thank you for supporting us.

1 Like

Dear all we just did new Android update with STORE FIXES. Please update ASAP. Version is 1.10.1.
What’s new :

• On widget removal (recycling) you get back 100% of energy;
  • New project doesn’t take any energy anymore;
  • Recycling enabled for old projects;
  • All Blynkers get +2000 of energy to compensate bugs in previous release;

Sorry for inconveniences and bugs in previous release as usual any feedback is welcomed!

8 Likes

Thanks @Dmitriy , that’s pretty awesome!!! I love it!!

1 Like

I grabbed the update from the App store - and at that time I had 1,900 points left - now I have 3,900 points left. That’s definitely an improvement. I think you might still wish to consider a difference between those using your server and those using their own. For me to add another history graph, all using my own hardware, costs 900 points a time. Seems somewhat excessive.

Pete.

@scargill , we will check your energy balance.

Blynk is not only a server, or apps or libraries. It’s a complete platform, a service. So if you use your own server, you still use Blynk apps for example.

We made such an impressive open source cloud. @Dmitriy put all of his expertise into making it optimized so well, that it can handle more than 1000 requests/sec even on a $5 Raspberry Pi. We, of course, need to pay for servers and global distribution, but it’s not the largest expense of our startup.

Guys, we’ve got some bad reviews on Android Store due to the switching to paid services. Which was expected, but still pretty downing.

If you like Blynk, may we ask you to update or put a review there? Thanks!

5 Likes

I believe that is a fair and balanced price model. Thank you.

I will do this right now. You and your project surely deserve it!

Totally agree, the ‘Energy’ concept just seems like a way of obscuring the PAYG update/introduction. Why not just be open, clear and honest - you will now have to pay £? for widgets x, y and z? I will not be ‘buying energy’ I will be paying for the use of a widget.

Also tell people up front in detail what the cost structure will be so they can make an informed decision.

Just to make sure I am being open and clear; I think PAYG is a great idea and am fine with it. I just don’t like the silly language it has been obscured by.

1 Like

@smssms

I would kindly ask you to research the subject, before saying something is silly. There is a team of people working on that, evaluating every decision made.

We would be happy not to deal with any in-between currency, but then we would need to set a min $1 price for every widget. Because it’s the minimum price for an in-app purchase on iOS and Android.

Would that work for you?

1 Like