Hidden TABs or other widget from shared users

Hidden tabs or other widgets from shared users it is a good practice.

I’m use one tab such as a page with setups of my device. I do not want share it for my users to change or see.

I think need three mode for widgets:

• visible
  • read only
  • invisible (visible only for admins)

What do you think about this?

1 Like

Private settings is actually needed

I agree that this is needed.

For example, if I create a new version of the app, I want to give that app a different identity so that my device can read something in the app to check whether the old or new version of the app is being used.

@questor do you mean app or project? Didn’t understand the rest of your post, sorry.

It is really the app+project which together define the client-side. This is in the situation where there may be multiple users who are not all using the same app+project on their mobile.

My question was about identifying versions of the project so that they could be read by the device sketch. But the device might also need to know which version of the app was being used.

@questor ok so you are referring to the Blynk app not the “questor” app, ok.

If we take the Blynk app side of things first. You can’t control what users do regarding the app version, unless you build your own app. So some users will never upgrade from Blynk 0.99 (circa 1982) and others will always be on the latest version, as they have auto updates enabled.

Now I’m struggling to see where different project versions tied up the title of the thread ie. hidden tabs etc.

However what I will say is that Blynk has some very powerful tools for presenting users with different “apps / projects”.

Let me try to explain with an example.

I use the Blynk app (e.g. Android 2.16.4) to make my project (call it questor.1), and make it available to a set of users with my device code. Later, I add another widget to my project (call it questor.2), and make it available to more users. Later, Blynk updates the app (e.g. Android 2.17.1), and some of the users upgrade.

Is there a way that my device code/sketch could find out for a particular user which version of the Blynk app they were using, and which version of my project they were using?

If there were a tab or a widget that was hidden from the user, but could be read by the device, I could perhaps put a version number there?

Simple example: I have device for control ventilation. This app have two tabs - one tab with temperature stats, motor status and second tab with settings of control (temperature levels, speed of motor e.t.c). If i share my app - anybody can change setting. This is not good. Tab must be with option “read only” and “hidden”.

I think.

This is the free “test and develop” side of Blynk… And, over time and at their discretion, the Developers may take some suggestions and add them in, some of them are clearly more suited for commercial use and you might get quicker results over on the Business side of Blynk.

1 Like

@questor and @rashn thanks for fleshing out the details.

Hidden or protected widgets have been discussed previously and hopefully will be implemented at some stage.

Meanwhile it’s a case of DIY, see screenshots.

@questor first screenshot has a display widget “NEXT VERSION” with V00216. This is used during the daily automatic firmware update check over the internet. We use one sequence of numbers but you could use 10 sequences if you wished.

@rashn when you press CLEAR EEPROM button the text changes to Press Again and a warning comes up in Terminal that if you press the button again in the next 5s “Armagedon will ensue”. Equally it could say now enter your PIN.