Global Virtual Pins (aka, Blynk Cloud Pins)

Problem Statement: share information across multiple, dynamically- or statically-provisioned devices.

Note: With dynamically-provisioned devices, the Bridge widget isn’t feasible.

Proposed Solution: Global Virtual Pins (GVPs). Let’s assume there are 16 GVPs,

G0, G1, ... G15

The app / project would update a GVP and BLYNK_WRITE (or equivalent) would be invoked on each device associated with the app / project. Blynk.syncVirtual (or equivalent) would also be supported.

Use-case #1:

1. Two dynamically-provisioned devices using the Device Tiles widget.
  2. Click on the “SETUP” tab. Note: The “SETUP” tab is intended to span all devices.
  3. Enter the authorization token for a cloud-based dashboard in a Text Input widget associated with G0.
  4. BLYNK_WRITE(G0) is invoked on each device to locally configure the authorization token.

Use-case #2:

1. Dynamically provision a third device.
  2. Once connected, the device invokes Blynk.syncVirtual(G0).
  3. BLYNK_WRITE(G0) is invoked on the device to locally configure the authorization token.

Use-case #3:

(same as Use-case #1 only you update the SSID and password associated with all of the devices)

Alternatives? Any other suggestions in terms of how this sharing across multiple, dynamically- or statically-provisioned devices can be achieved? Maybe this is something Blynk has planned as part of the next major release?

3 Likes

Hi,

This feature is already planned and called Cloud Pins. Glad we are not the only ones who thought about that.

5 Likes

Crap. I guess I’ll withdraw my patent application. :wink:

Out of curiosity, is it bi-directional? In other words, can it be used for inter-device communication (with dynamically-provisioned devices)? Or is it only for communicating across multiple devices (as I described)? I was after the low-hanging fruit, but obviously something like the MQTT broker pub / sub mechanism would be great.

hi,
is this feature is replacing or more easier way to bridge ?

Pavel, Would you be willing to add “Cloud Pins” to the Blynk Roadmap under “PLANNED” with a little more information in terms of what it entails?

1 Like