Getting started with ESP-13 sheild (ESP8266)

Can you be more specific?

You can upload sketches via Arduino IDE and run it standalone with Blynk on it, no problem :slight_smile:

Great, So why am i having such a devil of a time with the little sod?
In the Adruino program (windows), what board do i Choose?

I guessed it was the generic ESP8266 but what about the other settings? And the programmer, “Arduino and ISP”?
Im just trying to upload the sample Blynk ESP8266 standalone sketch.

Can you be more specific?
Looks like you have a failure to connect. So wiring or COM PORT issue

Wiring is unlikely. there isnt any, its a plug on shield straight from a packet. It just snaps straight onto the Uno.
I can write sketches to the Uno OK too.

i dont know how to write to the ESP8266…

If it ‘snaps onto the Uno’ you will not be running it in standalone mode and you will have the nightmare of selecting Uno from the boards manager and trying to get it to work.

You really should be looking to use ESP’s in standalone mode as it is much easier without an Arduino.

Continuing the discussion from Getting started with ESP-13 sheild (ESP8266):

This is the one i bought:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/Kits%2C-Science-%26-Learning/Science-Lab-Equipment/Models-Puzzles/Arduino-Compatible-ESP-13-Wifi-Shield/p/XC4614
and yes, so far its a nightmare. ive managed to get Zilch from it. Nothing uploads, nothing interacts with it. Im stuck.

$20 plus cost of a Mega when you could just buy a WeMos for $4 or $5.

In fairness at least you have a proper ‘shield’ rather than just an ESP chip.

hey i have duniotech esp 13 shield. like gr0p3r have one.
I i had same problems and i been dig info and no idea.

by time i learn something about pin D0 and D1

when arduino uno compaitle snap together with esp13 serial port does not work
because it is tx-tx rx-rx (not worked)

so i decide unsnap and use wire jumper 5v gnd between arduino uno and esp13
make sure arduino D0 (rx) to esp 13 TX and D1 (tx) to esp 13 RX.
(it mean TX-RX and RX-TX)
guess what serial port commaction now working i can flash program it or monitor serial feed back.

i wish esp13 fix it circut board 2 pin need swap.
but i got idea thanks to esp 13 have switch so i can turn off for good and 2 wire soilder to 2 pin and connect to esp 13 uart.

now i dont have problem any more because serial com is working now

i hope you agree with me

at last i am try work out how use esp13 with blynk give me time work out :smile:

i hope might help other to unsnap and use wire jumper it worked arduino uno board between esp 13 board

Did you have any luck here? Im encountering similar with an ESP13 wifi shield for a Arduino Uno. This one which looks basically the same http://www.auselectronicsdirect.com.au/arduino-wi-fi-shield

Hi Kentp!
Have you got this wifi shield worked yet ? I just a newbie in this forum and I come across your post. Please give me a reply if you could.
Cheers!

Hi !
I know this is an old post but I am a newbie and just recently start to learn Arduino with wifi shield. I just wonder if you get this worked ? Could you please provide some documentation for help!
Thank you very much !

No I gave up and went for a much more integrated and easier to use AdaFruit ESP8266 based micro controller.

I still use it. Like i have said cant put both together when you want program to esp8266 from arduino thank to serial wrong way. Have to pull out if want program it.

But ardunio and esp put together arduino pin work for arduino while esp 13 work for eap8266 only cant do both in one due circuit board is not connect together. But if serial port was right way it will be cool to use it.

I dont put arduino uno and esp 13 together at all it better separate thanks

Guys, also take a look at our wiki page: https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-library/wiki/ESP8266-with-AT-firmware

Agreed it can be a PITA to get working with the arduino, i managed to get it running using arduino library WiFiEsp.h, connect hardware serial1 on the arduino to the serial port on the esp8266 with a baud rate of 115200…BUT, there is always a but…i cant get this to play nice with with blynk…so iam back to square one, gonna try and work out how to use this thing as a stand alone micro

If you have the ESP-13 that I have (https://d3s5r33r268y59.cloudfront.net/69193/products/thumbs/2015-11-06T02:09:32.056Z-TB1jEKcJpXXXXa_XXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg.2560x2560_q85.jpg) then there are some things you need to know.

Mount it to an Arduino, and power it up.

If you aren’t sure if it’s configured, hold down the KEY button for at least 5 seconds, the unit will be fully reset.

Then, use a computer or phone to connect to its WIFI server, in the following manner:

1. Both switches OFF for programming
  2. Power on Arduino
  3. Using computer or phone Wifi, connect to DOITWiFi_Config
  4. Fill out operational parameters (RST for 5s will reset)
  5. Connect to 192.168.4.1 with a web browser.

You can then configure the unit to function either as a server (where clients connect to it) or as a client (where it connects to a target.) My students are going to be using it as a client, so here’s the outline of how to do that:

Leave Access Point (AP) config as-is - only needed for SERVER mode.

Set Station as follows:

a.  Use AP List to find the Access Point you want to use
b.  Set the AP password to the AP WEP password
c.  DHCP Enable is YES
d.  STA IP, Netmask and Gateway are not editable - they're received via DHCP

Set NetWork Setting as follows:

Socket Type:  Client
Transport Type:  TCP
Remote IP:  <IP address of the host you want to communicate with>
Local Port:  <port of the host you want to contact>

Click SUBMIT

You communicate with the WiFi board using the Serial device, as if you were using the console. You can, in fact, monitor the traffic via the USB serial console.

When you are ready to use the access point, flip the switches ON. This enables the TX and RX lines.

You now talk to the remote application like you’d talk to someone on a keyboard via the USB serial console. Your normal sends and receives will work as you would expect. Set your speed with Serial.begin(9600) which is the default for the ESP-13. Of course, you can change that, but Arduinos are going to be transmitting small amounts of data, so generally the baud rate isn’t that critical.

NOTE: the switches link the WIFI module to the RX (pin 1) and TX (pin 0) lines, the same ones that are normally connected to the board’s USB interface. BOTH switches UP means the WiFi board is able to talk to the Arduino. Both switches DOWN means that the board cannot talk to the Arduino. Enabling only ONE switch would permit either TX or RX, if you only needed that.

NOTE: YOU MUST TURN THE SWITCHES OFF IF YOU ARE PROGRAMMING OTHERWISE THE IDE WILL FAIL TO PROGRAM THE ARDUINO.

@cvessey FYI, you are responding to a topic that is almost a year and half old :wink: Please take note of the time date stamps before posting.

My apologies. Reading the thread, seeing no definitive answer, and seeing its high viewcount led me to believe that this article comes up a lot via searches. Further, it seemed to me that there were people who had likely put it in the junk box who might want to revive it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

1 Like

The definitive solution was “don’t bother”… as is similar in a few other topics about these type of “me too” shields for adding WiFi to the Arduino.

But now, and one main reason to keep these old posts from being revived, at least without clarification of their potential irrelevance from the current Blynk operational point of view, is they are not worth the effort when a Wemos D1 Mini can be had for the cost of a cup of coffee… and just simply works :slight_smile: Try one instead… you and your students will appreciate that lack of unnecessary hoop jumping :smiley: