Flummoxed--why am I not getting Blynk notifications?

NodeMCU
Blynk Library v1.0.1
in Blynk I have the event code “mailbox_opened” set up with notifications enabled
I have confirmed the data that belongs in the “” below is correct
I have tried for hours to read and learn and experiment, I would really appreciate any assistance! thanks.

#define BLYNK_TEMPLATE_ID ""
#define BLYNK_DEVICE_NAME ""
#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial       
#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>

char auth[] = "";
char ssid[] = "";
char pass[] = "";

BlynkTimer timer; // Announcing the timer

int sensorPin = 5;               // choose the input pin (for PIR sensor)
int sensorValue = LOW;                    // variable for reading the pin status

void setup()
{
  pinMode(sensorPin, INPUT);
  Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass);
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("READY");
  timer.setInterval(5000L, sensorDataSend);  
}

void sensorDataSend()
{  
  sensorValue = digitalRead(5);  // reading sensor value  
  Blynk.virtualWrite(V0, sensorValue);  // sending sensor value to Blynk app

if (sensorValue == HIGH)  
    {   Blynk.logEvent("mailbox_opened");}}

void loop()
{
  Blynk.run();
  timer.run();        // run timer every second
    }

Screenshots?

Pete.

Have you tried increasing the priority?

Also, are you sure that this if test is evaluating to true?..

Pete.

sorry I’m not sure what you mean by increasing the priority.
regarding testing, not sure if this is what you mean–but at one point I had it working so that, yes, every movement of the motion sensor resulted in a notification (and the high/low behavior with movement has been 100% consistent measured with multimeter whenever I test it). however I think it was also flooding because of virtual write being in the loop with nothing limiting it. unfortunately i can’t find that sketch darn it, but I don’t think the code was that great anyway

What do you see in your timeline? Like you said, you probably overflooded the server. 100 notifications a day is max.

Here you go.
it’s 2:15am where I’m at, gotta sleep, but thanks in advance for any insights

Ok, check longer period like a day or week. If limit is reached it’s not gonna send anything to the timeline anymore, so could be longer then last hour.

Also change your code for only send a notification once, you can do that with using a flag.

Sorry, I should have use the correct terminology, which is “Type”
You currently have the Type set to Warning.

I meant, are you certain that you are obtaining a situation where sensorValue == HIGH ?
Have you tried adding a serial print statement inside this if statement to demonstrate that it is evaluating to true ?

Is your PIR sensor attached to the pin labelled D1 ?

Pete.

there’s nothing in the timeline from the current sketch, i.e. since the earlier flooding
also, when I use Arduino IDE on macOS, I have two port options: usbserial, and slab_USBtoUART, the only difference seems to be what gets written in serial port.
I’ll try adding a serial print statement for sensorValue High and post back

if I didn’t mention it, I am plugged into D1
after adding a print statement inside the “if”, what gets printed with motion is the number 1. so I decided to change the V0 data stream to integer, low 0 max 1 default 0. the serial monitor continued to print the same thing (“1”) not surprising I guess. will I even be able to truly test notifications until tomorrow due to the over quota message I get?

No, you have to wait for a new day… but if you want to test then first put a flag in your code else in a few minutes you’ll reach the max. again.

yah I figured. can you give me an example of a “flag”?? I am no exception to the newbie who just isn’t getting timers and intervals and flags and stuff. I’ve been reading a ton and trying to digest. I thought the interval I inserted would prevent flooding:
timer.setInterval(5000L, sensorDataSend);
except maybe it fails because it’s in void setup and runs only once?

also, just curious, did newbies find the legacy version hard to grasp as well? or is it apples/oranges?

Your timer is ok, but checks every 5 seconds so in 500 seconds your max is reached.
Coding is almost the same between Legacy and IOT but you’ll need to setup more in the webconsule.

Here a simple example for setting the notification once without a reset function.

int flag = 0;

void sensorDataSend()
{  
  sensorValue = digitalRead(5);  // reading sensor value  
  Blynk.virtualWrite(V0, sensorValue);  // sending sensor value to Blynk app

if (sensorValue == HIGH && flag == 0)  
    {   Blynk.logEvent("mailbox_opened");
        flag = 1;}

}

wow, that’s slick
thank you