Events stop working

Looks like the documentation could do with improving to clarify that.

Pete.

It would be very helpful if you removed the limit on the number of NOTIFICATIONS.
That is, so that when the same event is repeated many times, it would be possible to send a notification to the phone every time.

Because the limit of 100 events per day is understandable. And the limitation on push notifications is a significant drawback of Blynk, which is not found in any IOT application.

Personally, I think the current limits are fine.

Notifications are useful if they are used to report exceptional events - a temperature control system going out of range, a fault condition being detected, an intruder alarm being activated etc.
They stop being as useful when they become the norm rather than exception, because then you get ā€œnotification fatigueā€ and they cease to have any meaningful value and instead become an annoyance that clutters-up your phone.

If a notification is sent when user intervention is required, and more than 100 user interventions are required per day then you have a serious deign flaw in your system.
What I see is people sending repeated notifications about the same issue, when one notification should alert the user that there is an issue that needs to be monitored, then the user can open the app to monitor the situation and take any required actions.

If I had a system where I needed to be alerted to a problem that required some manual intervention then Iā€™d probably send one notification when that state was detected, then use a different event/notification to send 15 minute reminders while that event situation remained. This ensures that the daily limits arenā€™t reached for each event type.

Just my thoughts though.

Pete.

I agree with what you are talking about.

But, this is true when you do not have a very large and complex engineering system.
For example. We have a boiler room with a large number of equipment - boilers, various pumps, pressure, temperature, water level sensors and so on. In addition, there are two heating units, which also have a lot of equipment and sensors.
All this is combined into one system, which transmits to the user the status of the equipment and signals about malfunctions (failures).
So, when you have a large and complex system, one event can trigger several different events in sequence, one after another. And since these are different events, they cannot be combined and send one notification - these must be different notifications. For example, a power failure causes several notifications in succession - for the boiler room, for one thermal unit, and for the second; in addition, a shutdown of the gas supply is initiated, which is also an event, and after it - a signal about low gas pressure and signals about blocking the boilers ā€¦
Thus, sometimes (not always) a single power failure can cause 5 or more notifications in sequence.
If (in the event of an accident) there are several such failures during the day, the option of exhausting the number of notifications is possible. And in this case, after the accident is eliminated, when the system returns to normal operation, the notification function will be unavailable until the end of the current day - and this is unacceptable.

The situation I am describing is unlikely. But it is possible.
Therefore, I believe that the number of notifications should be increased, or (even better) not limited.
This is due to the critical notification feature - this feature should not be disabled just because the limit has been reachedā€¦
I mean notifications, not a list of events.
This is my subjective opinion, I do not pretend to be the absolute truth.

There are workarounds to this.
You could create multiple devices in Blynk, and use the HTTP(S) API to send an event based notification from one of these ā€œfakeā€ devices.
Iā€™d have a fake device for each major component and send a notification from that device when that component failed or entered an error state.

Pete.

I know that there are workarounds, and I use them.
I just think that the IOT application should not have a limit on the number of notifications.

I agree with Pete here. In real life, if you will send more than 3 notifications per day per user - the user will simply mute them right away. However, I agree there may be some corner cases.

2 Likes

Just for reminder, the pure and simple event logging in the timeline, without any kind of notification, isnā€™t still working for some weeks now. The only way to put log events into the timeline is to send events to the Notifications tab, and then to enable notifications. If you donā€™t want to be alerted by push or email, leave the recipients tab empty. Hopefully this workaround is only required temporarily.

Carlo

They still work for meā€¦

@Dmitriy youā€™d previously spoken about the message regarding daily limits being exceeded as a bug. Iā€™ve not seen this laily limits message myself.
Can you provide more info on what situations cause this, and why only some people seem to be affected, and when the bug will be fixed?

Pete.

1 Like

Maybe only Android version is affected.

Events are server based, and the screenshot I attached is from the web console.

Pete.

Timeline not working properly. Events are NOT being consistently recorded on the device timeline. For example a particular event is triggered and is recorded on the timeline. The event is then cleared on the device and then re triggered. The second trigger of the event is not recorded on the timeline. No changes were made but the timeline logging has been broken since Oct 18 on a whole host of different devices/templates. What is going on ? I am not generating more then 10 events a day so it cannot be the limit issue.

The problem seems to be solved. Since a couple of hours itā€™s working again as it should. Thanks a lot !
Carlo

Unfortunately for me, the events still donā€™t work as they did before Oct 18 :worried:

You could try to edit and save your events again, as a kind of refresh. In my case this works with success until nowā€¦
Carlo

Unfortunately, that didnā€™t help :worried:

Hello all. There is indeed an issue with the Events. It was a tricky one, so it took some time on our side to fix it. The fix is deployed already. So events should work right now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

3 Likes