ESP8266 Shield Stability issues

Hi all.

First of all BIG BIG THANKS TO Blynk Team for great work you doing.
I have created fully functional project based on Blynk, Arduino MEGA and Ethernet Shield W5100 with no stability issues for three weeks so far.

Therefore I’ve moved on to ESP8266.
I tried to test it using simple code for switch button to turn LED 13 on and off on my Arduino MEGA.

It works with some problems with stability.
Module is disconnecting every few minutes by it self.
And if i use the switch on IOS App couple of times it somehow make the module to disconnect as well.

What is very interesting I have test it at my work place and when i connected the Arduino MEGA and ESP8266 to router at work the connection is ROCK SOLID --> perfect stability. The only thing is changed in the code is SSID and PASS. This proves that the hardware is OK.
I have used 5v to 3.3v logic converter and appropriate power supply to ESP8266.

I wondering about my home Router settings. If the same code runs very smoothly connected to router at work why router at home is acting so weirdly.

SERIAL LOG:

[0] Blynk v0.2.2-beta
[0] Connecting to "SSID"
[3125] IP: +CIFSR:STAIP,"IP"
+CIFSR:STAMAC,"MAC"

OK
[3152] Connected to WiFi
[8577] Ready!
[17426] Sent 0/5
[25652] Ready!
[32156] Sent 0/5
[41511] Ready!

ARDUINO CODE HERE:

#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial    // Comment this out to disable prints and save space
#include <ESP8266.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleShieldEsp8266.h>

ESP8266 wifi(Serial1);

// You should get Auth Token in the Blynk App.
// Go to the Project Settings (nut icon).
char auth[] = "AUTH";
boolean onOff;
int ledPin = 13;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);   // Set console baud rate
  while (!Serial) {}

Serial1.begin(115200);  // Set ESP8266 baud rate
  while (!Serial1) {}

Blynk.begin(auth, wifi, "SSID", "PASS");
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
}

BLYNK_WRITE(10)
{

if(param.asInt() == 0) onOff=0;
  if(param.asInt() == 1) onOff=1;

}

void loop()
{
  digitalWrite(ledPin, onOff);
  Blynk.run();
}

ANY SUGESTIONS WELCOME.
PLEASE HELP.

Best regards Claude

Not much help here :frowning:

Anyway I upgraded ESP-01 to ESP-03 with ceramic antenna.
Stability improved, no resets at all.
That doesn’t change a fact that ESP-01 is not stable at all.

But as I can see no one is interested anyway.

WIRING PICTURE.
Arduino Mega.
ESP8266 ESP-03.
5.5v to 3.3v step-down module.
5.5v to 3.3v bi directional logic converter.
47uf capacitor and 10k resistors for pull-ups.
HAVE FUN AND START BLYNKING.

1 Like

@Claude

We care and we saw your report. We have few problems with ESP8266 as Blynk support for it was added just recently. Don’t worry, @vshymanskyy is already working on all reported issues regarding ESP8266 and they will be fixed soon.

@Claude Actually I’m interested in the report as well. Started with the ESP8266 myself - just recently. Got two 01 and two different 12 to play with though I only tried the 01 so far. I’m using the ESP as a standalone version. I used some of the simple examples to see whether I can get it to work, successfully. After that I started modifying the code (introducing DHT-libraries and code to send the temp/humidity via blynk) and it started misbehaving, i.e. disconnected from the WIFI every few seconds. It reconnected afterwards… but kept on disconnecting. In my case the router was the same. I’ll try to narrow down, what causes the discos and compare the outcome of the same code on the different ESPs and report back… but that won’t happen before next week.

Still be sure… I also care for the issues… and you’re not alone. :wink:

I just removed my unreliable CC3000 shield and replaced it with an ESP8266-01 connected to an Arduino Mega. It actually worked perfectly in my initial test with Blynk 5 minutes ago. I’m now going to test it for stability.

@Dmitriy , @Minc , @gerenb .
I was a bit impatient, I guess this still small but fast growing society.

To power the MEGA I am using 9v and 2A power supply not just usb connection as presented on the wiring photo.

I am very curious what stability levels will you guys achieve through your testing.

I am running ESP8266 ESP-03 for second day now to control and dim LED lighting. During the two days it reset it self only a few times for only few seconds. Great result.

Waiting for your results.

Best regards
Claude

1 Like

@Claude I guess not only blynk is in it’s very first stages but ESP is still a quite young platform though fast-growing. And of course Arduino on ESP is quite fresh… Looking forward to use these bad boys in a productive environment…
Is there a way to track not the uptime of the chip but the connection time or even better log the timepoint of disconnects? Maybe easiest to get the router log for this, right?

2 Likes

Hi all, Check out the latest library release, it comes bundled with some required libraries for ESP8266 Shield and improved stability: https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-library/releases/latest