ESP8266 NodeMCU Firmware to Blynk

Hi everybody! I’m new here to Blynk community. I’m Dave 14 years old. I just wanted to ask help in using ESP8266 with a NodeMCU Firmware and connect to Blynk. Thanks in advance :smiley:

First step is to install drivers for integrated USBtoSerial interface on NodeMCU. My NodeMCU has some CH340 adapter.
If you using ArduinoIDE, you need to add ESP8266 board to board manager. Go to Preferances and in section Additional Boards Manager Url paste

http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json

Go to Tools - Boards - Board manager and install ESP8266.

Then, select
Tools - Board - NodeMCU 1.0
Tools - Flash size - 4M
Tools - Port - select port of USBtoSerial interface (see in device manager)

Than install Blynk libraries, and open some example skech.

My ESP8266 is the - 01 version, the one with 8 pins. So I use external FTDI Drivers. Soo… I don’t need to upload another firmware right?, still NodeMCU which loads Lua Scripts? And how can I download drivers for ESP8266 because I’m using Arduino 1.5.2 IDE. Thanks!

I suggest you upgrade to at least 1.6.5. In my experience that version works really well.

You can connect to it with your FTDI serial-to-usb device (I do that too). Just make sure you have the right voltage!! This is very important because you can damage it beyond repair. They are not expensive, but hey, you do want something working :wink:

Also make sure you have CH_PD high. For programming it’s possible to feed it the power from an Arduino or the FTDI convertor, but in a real situation you need to have an external power supply of at least 400mA. Preferably with a capacitor added.

I always follow this guide: http://reflowster.com/blog/2015/05/11/esp8266.html when I get stuck. It’s a really good one and you can make a sort of programming chip/board if you plan on playing around with it a lot, it helps if you can just plug it in your convertor and upload your sketch. I don’t want to have to push buttons etc. to put it in program mode.

1 Like