ESP8266 as access point, and using blynk on a phone to view data from ESP8266

Hi everyone! I’m new here, so please be patient with me. :slight_smile:

So here’s the gist of my project: I have a ESP8266 nodemcu, and I want it to act as an access point, so I can connect to it with my phone. After I connect to my phone, I want to be able to view data from various sensors on the ESP8266. How would I go about doing this from a code standpoint?

I can’t seem to find anything like this on google, and I’ve been trying to make this project for a very long time.

I hope this all makes sense, and thanks for any help in advance!

You will not be able to do this and connect to Blynk’s server at the same time.

The way Blynk works is the App and the Device (in your case the NodeMCU) both need to connect via the internet to Blynk’s Cloud Server.

http://help.blynk.cc/getting-started-library-auth-token-code-examples/what-do-i-need-to-blynk

There are other ways of having a Local Server that can also act as an AP and have both Phone and device connect to it in a non-internet environment… but not off of a NodeMCU, too slow and limited… rather you would use an RPi for the Server/AP role.

You must be using strange search parameters :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Lots of different ways of controlling/monitoring stuff off of ESP’s via phone Apps. Blynk is just one… but one of the most versatile.

Ok, thanks so much for the help. I may just have to use a RPi…

Why, doesn’t your phone have WiFi or 3G/4G?

Not sure I understand your questions but if you want to see sensor data on your phone then Blynk is probably the easiest way of doing this. No messing around with port forwarding, it just works as is.

I don’t have either because 1: I don’t have wifi in the middle of nowhere :P, and 2: I want to use my iPod touch which doesn’t have cellular capabilities.

If it doesn’t have cellular features it is not a phone. Please post accurate details if you want sensible replies.

1 Like

Like we would know that :stuck_out_tongue:

Look at this option…