ESP32 doesn't connect to wifi

Not sure (at all) … but i do recall ESP32 has (or had?) problems to connect to Wifi networks (SSID) using SPACES in the name.

If so, this SSID would need to be renamed:

char ssid[] = “It Burns When IP”;

Note: I am not sure about this, but there is a bell ringing …

What version of the ESP32 core do you have installed?

Pete.

Hi Pete, I can only find this in Board Info, .Is this what you mean? If not how do I find what version core is?

Go to tools/board/boards manager and search for esp32

Hi John, mine doesn’t quite look like yours, see screen shot, I did install the ESP32 Arduino 2.0.4 but I don’t get the same end screen as you. Am I missing something here?

You are using arduino 2.0 ide.

Install arduino 1.8.0 then you will get the exact screen as @John93 has posted.

I am also using the new Arduino IDE V2.0.9 …
And I can confirm it is not 100% stable. (Today I can’t open the boards manager, for instance …)

=> And there is “often” problems with downloading sketches as there is some “constant” problem with the serial port management in the new Arduino IDE V2. )

If having problems - do install the (still) official version 1.8.n

Hi, I used Arduino 1.8 and installed ESP32, the screen shot is what the core version is , correct?
Do I select a version to install?

That’s right.

2.0.4 is the latest version. if you would like to install an older version, you can select from the drop down menu.

Hi John93, would installing an older version have any bearing on why the wifi isn’t working?

May be or may not be.
There are instances where older cores tends to be more stable and reliable when compared to newer cores. So we need to play around with cores and see which one works for you.

Also try to create a hotspot on your smartphone with simple SSID and PASSWORD like

SSID = ABCD

PASS = 12345678

See if this works. As @jonas said SSID’s with spaces may not work well with esp32.

By following what i said. You may rule out one aspect of why the module is not connecting.

Uninstalling the arduino ide and all the associated files and reinstalling ide ,cores and libraries have solved problems many times.

Meanwhile if possible buy a new esp32 module or ask your friend to lend one. If it works, then your module has gone bad.

Actually, I’ve been using the latest version of the esp32 core for a while without any issues, so I know it’s not a core issue, and I’ve been using SSID with spaces, so that shouldn’t be an issue either.
The first thing you should do is try a different esp32 board.

Hi, well I tried the phone hot spot idea and it seems to be working. To clarify my hot spot ssid does have a space in it “HUAWEI P30” , and serial monitor shows it is connected, and to my delight the Blynk console on laptop and app shows 1x active device.
So my question here is , is my board still defective or is my Wifi router the issue. If Wifi router what test could I try to see what probable cause is, note every other device in the house works fine off this router?

Thank you for your suggestions and patience.

/*************************************************************

This is a simple demo of sending and receiving some data.
  Be sure to check out other examples!
 *************************************************************/

// Template ID, Device Name and Auth Token are provided by the Blynk.Cloud
// See the Device Info tab, or Template settings
#define BLYNK_TEMPLATE_ID "TMPLQPQz8rzC"
#define BLYNK_DEVICE_NAME "Quickstart Template"
#define BLYNK_AUTH_TOKEN "ROm1XzZNz8BMEEFeWQN4LA0JD2FRJ6g8"

// Comment this out to disable prints and save space
#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial

#include <WiFi.h>
#include <WiFiClient.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp32.h>

char auth[] = BLYNK_AUTH_TOKEN;

// Your WiFi credentials.
// Set password to "" for open networks.
char ssid[] = "HUAWEI P30";
char pass[] = "7a7312850689";

BlynkTimer timer;

// This function is called every time the Virtual Pin 0 state changes
BLYNK_WRITE(V0)
{
  // Set incoming value from pin V0 to a variable
  int value = param.asInt();

// Update state
  Blynk.virtualWrite(V1, value);
}

// This function is called every time the device is connected to the Blynk.Cloud
BLYNK_CONNECTED()
{
  // Change Web Link Button message to "Congratulations!"
  Blynk.setProperty(V3, "offImageUrl", "https://static-image.nyc3.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/general/fte/congratulations.png");
  Blynk.setProperty(V3, "onImageUrl",  "https://static-image.nyc3.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/general/fte/congratulations_pressed.png");
  Blynk.setProperty(V3, "url", "https://docs.blynk.io/en/getting-started/what-do-i-need-to-blynk/how-quickstart-device-was-made");
}

// This function sends Arduino's uptime every second to Virtual Pin 2.
void myTimerEvent()
{
  // You can send any value at any time.
  // Please don't send more that 10 values per second.
  Blynk.virtualWrite(V2, millis() / 1000);
}

void setup()
{
  // Debug console
  Serial.begin(115200);

Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass);
  // You can also specify server:
  //Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass, "blynk.cloud", 80);
  //Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass, IPAddress(192,168,1,100), 8080);

// Setup a function to be called every second
  timer.setInterval(1000L, myTimerEvent);
}

void loop()
{
  Blynk.run();
  timer.run();
  // You can inject your own code or combine it with other sketches.
  // Check other examples on how to communicate with Blynk. Remember
  // to avoid delay() function!
}

Pete.

CONGRATS!!

If you try to join the router’s wifi, do you get the exact same error along with the reset? I can’t think of anything that could cause that to happen. For example, if its a wrong password you’d get an error like:
[ 3280][W][WiFiGeneric.cpp:873] _eventCallback(): Reason: 15 - 4WAY_HANDSHAKE_TIMEOUT

If you’re getting a different error with the router, I’d try to join the router’s wifi again, and see if the esp is listed in the attached devices admin panel. If it is, is an security / access control thing that blocks new devices. If it’s not there, the only thing I can think of it to check out the wireless configuration. Packet size (fragmentation) is the only thing that comes to my head I’ve had to change on my router. This is all specific to your exact model router though, you’ll have to find a manual on it.

It’s not a mini - this might be a good example for google’ing the question before replying if you don’t understand. Look up the esp32 mini, you’ll know immediately :slight_smile:

Again congrats :slight_smile: