ESP deep sleep

it provides unlimited data logging and powerful visualisation…

that is old code, probably a few improvements made to that sketch! including OTA update etc…

it is very well done!

BTW I have some info to add, maybe can be usefull for you:

bme280 consumes around 400uA in continuous mode, versus <1uA in one-shot mode

try to put in Forced mode, see this good example

http://wiki.sweetpeas.se/index.php?title=Room_Monitor

OK, thank you - do you use BME280? which library?

my sensor node is in “on” for 10 seconds maximum, and BME uses a fraction of what the ESP eats…

usually I use adafruit libraries

are you working on a battery sensor?

yes, this is my working battery sensor, using 2 x 18650 batteries…

lots of battery discussion here: Idea and suggestion for a battery powered system

(WHOOPS - that is your thread, lol!)

yes lol! :slight_smile:

seems there are no such interest on battery power nodes! :frowning:

can you share the updated code? I’d like to try on a different battery like Ni-Mh

I will update tonight…

Im currently trying to build a moisture sensor for my garden system using 2x18650’s and Solar panel + TP4056 combo.

I’m stuck so will follow this thread for some help :slight_smile:

I think ESP is quite good for a moisture sensors. You don’t need to pull data too often. I think 1x18650 will be enough

I’ve only been able to get my Blynk sensor to run for about 35min on a single battery without charging.
Thats transmitting every 10 seconds without deep sleep because when it goes to sleep it never wakes up. Im using a ModeMCU ESP8266.
I have the really cheapo chinese 18650’s marked as 4400mAh (but think they’re more like 900mAh doh!)

you did connect RST pin right?

Yup I have exhausted all avenues.

might be a NodeMCU thing? i never use NodeMCU…

1 Like

maybe is the FW on NodeMCU?
or Hardware problem?

some firmware allow to go until 35min, now seems that limit is 71min. Try to decrease your deep sleep time

some news here?

updated code here: Just my battery operated ESP8266 enviro sensor node with OTA update

1 Like

hello!

i know this is an old topic, but i wouldn’t wanted to open new one, because my question is very similar:

i’m designing some kind of semi-automatic bicycle shifter for internal gearing hub.

for mcu i use d1 mini pro. among other things, it monitors the wheel and crank cadence with 2 reed relays + magnets on the wheel and crankset. the gear shifting is made with a stepper motor + driver. the whole system is powered from lithium battery, so power consumption and reduced weight is critical.

everything works fine, and after lots of bench testing now i think the system is mature enough for some road tests. but here battery life comes into play.

to save power, i would like to put the wemos into deep sleep, if no wheel or crank rotation detected in the last x minutes. as i understand, this is relatively easy, with “ESP.deepSleep(0);” command.

however, what i want, that when the bike begins to move again (receives a signal from the reed relay), the system should startup automatically.

i thought i could hook up the reed relay to the RST + GND, it would be ok to wake up the esp, but after that every time the magnet passes near the reed relay, it would reset the system… not usable.

i would like to wake up the esp from deep sleep, but then to ignore further RST activations until I programmatically send it into deep sleep again.

any ideas how i can do that?
thank you!

@Costas, maybe you had bad results beacuse of some fake 18650 cells!

these cells are the oldest lithium battery standard, and are the most widely used in all kind of applications (laptop batteries, electric cars, power banks, etc) so they are high target for fakes. look at this!

if original cell, this size can have the highest capacity / weight / volume ratio!
recently i have bought from tme.eu some (hopefully) original panasonic cells, and they seems quite good, so far.

this guy has very extensive and professional testing done with all kind of 18650 cells, it worths a look! (also, some info here)

what i know for sure, everybody should definitely avoid the ULTRAFIRE brand, any color, model, because the are 100% fake!

I’m sure mine were fakes. The 9900mAh was 1000mAh at best.

What is the mAh’s of yours and approx cost?