[SOLVED] Dynamically Adding Device Through Blink App

I am evaluating the Blynk platform for a product. The product consists of a plurality of duplicate devices that need to be added through the application by the end user. The devices are wifi connected. Each device has identical hardware functionality with the only difference being the MAC address.

I have just started looking at this platform but it appears that in order to build the end user application, I need to know the device. Is that correct? Is it possible to “pair” a device through the end user blynk application at runtime?

Thank you,

Steve

1 Like

Not sure if this is what you are looking for:

And this

1 Like

That looks like exactly what I needed! Thank you Gunner.

1 Like

Brief answer - yes. But we use token instead of MAC. As MAC impossible to resolve in outside networks.

And is very easily faked … so it’s also really totally absolutely completely insecure.

Did I mention it’s insecure? :wink:

Please elaborate. What is insecure?

Using a MAC address as a form of identification is insecure as they can easily be faked by other devices.

According the the docs, I don’t think Blynk inject uses the MAC address. It is all based on the installer token.

True… it was only mentioned, because of your original comment.

Yes, as I understand it, Blynk will not identify individual devices beyond their assigned Auth Token… so any device can be added to a project with the inclusion of a Server generated Auth Token into it’s sketch.

However, I have no further experience with the provisioning process so that’s all I can “inject” into this topic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes I understand. I was just trying to understand the other posters comment about it not being secure. I wanted clarification on what wasn’t secure - using a MAC address as you implied or the entire Blynk Inject process.

1 Like