Default User Permissions - conflicting information

There seems to be some conflicting information about the default permissions for the User profile. Hopefully this is just a problem on my end and someone can tell me what I’m doing wrong.

I have a PLUS account and have a few devices configured, one of which is a room temperature monitor. I’m testing out the feature to give my friend access to view the device. To test this I setup a separate email address on my android device in a secure folder so I could log into both accounts with the Blynk IOT app instead of forcing my friend to work out the bugs.

I sent the email invitation to the second account with User level access. Email accepted, password setup and I can log into the second account with no issues.
I then transferred the device to the second account. I checked the dashboard in my main account and it shows it was transferred to the second account. I log into the second account app and it just says “No Devices Yet”.

I spent many hours reading the documentation and searching the forum only to find conflicting information on how this is supposed to work. Especially after reading this link https://community.blynk.cc/t/add-users-to-project-in-blynk-2-0/54685

The “newest” replies from the developers seem to indicate that they default permissions for User should now at least include the ability to View Own Devices. There is also a screenshot in there that shows someone posting the permissions in PLUS plan to reflect this. Checking my permissions in my Plus plan shows this and based off the first 4 settings being disabled which is why I can not see the device on my second account.

I understand the only way to change permissions is with a Pro account but again, the forum thread seems to imply the default permissions for User should have been changed already for PLUS. The only comment I can add is that I upgraded to a PLUS account several months ago and did not start with a PLUS account.

So, is this something I am doing wrong in the process?
Is this specifically related to my account?
Can I upgrade to Pro for one month, change the User settings and downgrade to Plus the next month? (getting a little desperate).

Ultimately, I just want a friend and family member to be able to see ONE device only and control that device.

Other than this issue, I really like the new Blynk 2.0

Hmm, this old chestnut again.

I think this is the latest topic on the subject, and I have absolutely no idea about where this currently stands I’d if anything is in the Blynk pipeline about this, and if so what the final outcome will be…

As you can tell, I think the current setup is ridiculous!

Pete.

Thank you for the link, I must’ve missed that one while searching.

I 100% agree with you on how the permission levels should be setup and your “Family” example was spot on! It’s saddening to see the developers look at this through a mostly “corporate structure” lens. I can’t knock them for focusing on their business model but if I were in their shoes I would probably look at it as having two different business models: corporate and maker. The differences between the two are night and day but both models can grow in their own way to become profitable.
I, like most users, would probably agree that the PLUS level should be geared toward the Maker community… too bad the forum doesn’t have a Poll feature :wink:.

Either way, doesn’t look like the User profile in PLUS will be able to View Owned Devices, thanks for trying Pete!!

I’ve never tried to use it, and it may only be available to me because of my moderator superpowers :superhero: :rofl: but there is an option…

Pete.

@wayneft change the device owner from you to your friend. You will be able to view and modify that device , as administrator , and your friend will be able to view that one device as owner.
Automation of every device though is exposed to all users, still. Hopefully developers will fix that (automations exposure)

This does not appear to work (unless I am missing something), I changed the device owner, and the new owner is not able to see the device in the Blynk Console. If I change the user to “Staff” he can see it, but he is not able to see it as “User”

Haven’t tried the visibility of the web console, of a particular device assigned to a user with user privileges. User with user privileges can view its own device in Blynk IOT app for sure. Brb in 5 mins

First you need to delete device owner, from the devices view in web console. So the device will have no owner.
Then from the same page you “transfer” device owner to the new owner.(three dots menu)
I ve tried it and it works. With user privileges (the second user).
As i said above , i ve only tested the app device visibility.

The default permissions for the “User” role don’t allow devices to be viewed…

This is regardless of whether they own the device or not.
The only way to change this is to edit the permissions, which requires a Pro subscription.

Pete.

Theese are the default permission for Plus plan.
This is the reason that i am still at Blynk.
Automations though are not yet separated per owned device but there is a promise that Blynk will go towards that direction:

Please don’t scratch old wounds Pete. I think that we fought side by side a lot at the past for that outcome.
:slight_smile:

The screenshot I posted was taken from my free account earlier today.
I don’t have a Plus account to compare it with, only a Pro account where I’ve already changed the default permissions.

Pete.

The default permission for Plus are the above posted. Screenshot is from my plus account. I haven’t changed them obiously because i dont have a Pro account