Cost of Blynk stopping me to start

Hi,
I’m a Blynk lover and make my projects with Blynk.
But now I’m launching two devices:
One for Garden auto-irrigation
The second one is for aquarium control

While it will work if the user configures their own Blynk and it will be free, but it is still not for people like my Mom and Dad; For them I need to provide a solution where they will just connect the W-fi and download my App. But I’ll hardly sell 100 such devices in a year and the cost in India is around Rs 3500/- per pc (approx 50 USD). My making cost for the material itself is Rs 2500 (approx 38 USD). Then the kind of plan Blynk has per month, it is not at all survivable for me.
Where as devices like SONOFF are selling Wi-fi switches with AWS hosted dashboards at Rs 1500/- (USD 20);
Any suggestion how can I use pre-build app with blynk and distribute them and still can survive with some profit?

Thanks and best regards,
Sumanta

1 Like

Thought about using a local server where you can give yourself as much energy in the app as you wish?

Thank you for your feedback and question.
@Pavel please take a look at this case.
I think we were already considering such situations…
@c.sumanta, hopefully it will be resolved - but please make a request on Blynk for Business www.blynk.io for more attention to the topic.

Hi I echo the post of c.sumanta, which reflects my needs, I currently have two projects according to irrigate a garden and an outdoor lighting system for home, work great for over a year, perfect, I personally designed the electrical part and wrote part of the arduino software, for some time I think, and I want to produce something for marketing (small of course, I mean friends, my parents and people I know. I have read your rates, unfortunately, have a prohibitive cost. I will I ask if there is the possibility of a future reduction of tariffs? may promote a short survey about your community / forum how many are willing to buy in a single solution and no annual subscription and how much they are willing to pay. Maybe you can ask your ’ user to provide their own server address so as to reduce your operating costs and more future app created is put on store IOS or Android so you might have to pay an additional income for you. I want to close by thanking you for the work you do thanks to you many users are realizing things you never would have thought you could do, Thanks again.

1 Like

you lost me going from here:

then to here:

couldn’t you could just give your parents a “happy gift”? why do you need to profit from your parents?

usually when you make a new recipe to those who do try first, to see if it is good, and you’re going in the right direction? it starts with parents and friends then you become a world producer (joke). . as said before I thank those of Blynk team if I can accomplish something today and I can say: “That’s why I created myself” …not ever stop dreaming!

if you want to use Blynk to try and make profit, it will cost you money…

Thanks vhymanskyy.

@Dave1829: May be Mom and Dad is a wrong example but the idea is without some of the component it may not be easily consumable for non-techies / gardeners and aquarium owners

I’m not doing a BIG business here but earning few more dollars so that my next hobby project on Blynk can be funded.

I love Blynk as with little programming knowledge I can make things talk, dance and Blynk :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the replies. If Blynk can open up some more stuff like the following for free it will help us:

• Free Blynk Mobile App Builder
  • App Publishing
  • Blynk.R, etc.

Thanks again,
Sumanta

@Dave1829 - it is not really making profit but making few dollars to fund my next dream hobby idea. Do you think an auto-irrigation board and an auto-aquarium control can make me so much profit? An Mi wi-fi switch also can do this as they provide the app as well in just 10 USD. Check also SONOFF wi-fi switch. But we are hobbiest. we never stop dreaming and prototyping.
Thanks. I’ll wait for Blynk to provide some freebies if they can. Else have to look for better solution.

But, I LOVE BLYNK. :slight_smile: and Will :slight_smile:

@c.sumanta Sorry we’re not deciding here what features will be (or not) available for free, we’re just discussing your case and possibilities for general “maker user”. I didn’t want to say it will be “for free” :slight_smile:

We still looking for business model and accepting all ideas/proposals. Nothing is final here. We’ll take your proposal to consideration. Thank you for pointing.

I would like to add my opinions.

For small scale business projects blynk should develop new solution. It doesnt mean “free”, but 99$ per m or 199 per m cant be affordable.

For ex, i will sold 100 devices from 30 $ and total income is 3000$. so it isnt sustainable investment for my small scale business. My suggestion is app builder is free + cost per connected device. Or small amount of money for up to 50 or 100 connected devices.

In all cases blynk and maker must earn money !

Regards
Ercan

1 Like

We understand that and we’re looking for a workable solution. We are really flexible.
I suggest you contact us through the Business channel, and describe your situation.

Exactly. Or I will let u build one app for like 5 devices for free and if u want more devices u must pay for it.

As I said, we ARE considering these options, and we are flexible.
Just ask with your Business Request - and we will discuss details.

We may still refuse, if your request is hard to accomplish for some reason…

Blynk has consistently and regularly said:

“Contact us and propose your solution…”

because there will never be a “one-size-fits-all” solution for small enterprises…

if you can sell your idea to Blynk, then i am confident you will get a solution that is appropriate! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,
Finally for my situation I cannot scale with Blynk.
I’ve provided some suggestions but they are not feasible now:

• Up to some devices free
  • Have an options so that my customers can also be bound to pay some small subscriptions per year and get notifications once it is going to expire. This way we can do revenue sharing and I bring money for Blynk as well.

BR,
Sumanta

@Sumanta,

We hear your concerns and understand your frustration. First, we offer 50% discount for young companies like yours.

Next. Let’s say there is no Blynk. You have a few options:

• Develop iOS and Android app by yourself
  • hire freelancers to build them
  • start a company and hire in-house developers

Then you also need a designer, someone to test(QA), somebody to work on backend side. You will also spend your time on managing those people.

The whole development would take at least 6 months. And only 1 app with “Blynk quality” would cost you ~$30k. With freelancers it can be cheaper, but add a couple of months. Also add 1-2months on finding right people.

Now Blynk: just for $990/year you get everything: 2 apps, cloud, tech support and more. You can focus on the product, sales and grow your company.

So, even for a budget of 1 app, you can run on Blynk for 30 years!

We understand all the excitement bonded to making a new product, because we are alao product guys. But doing upfront math is crucial for any business, especially young.

1 Like

@Pavel I think you meant to say $1,990/year not $990/year.

The issue I’m trying to resolve regards a simple application that I would share with end-users of my device. The Blynk app on their end would use more than the “free” energy provided to a new Blynk user. I wouldn’t mind paying for the energy up-front and transferring it to them when share the app with the user but I can’t really expect the user to purchase energy on their own. It just gets too complicated.

I totally get it that you guys have to make money to continue to host, upgrade, and manage Blynk, I’m just at a loss as to how to make it work in my situation; i.e., 50 or 100 devices. The reality is there might not be a way as there’s a huge cliff when you get to your 21st device and it creates a no-mans land for sorts. I see the classes of users as:

1. Light users being subsidized by others (free)
  2. Tinkerers, like me, that purchase energy as our needs expand (a few $ here and there)
  3. Dreamers/prototypers that want to test the waters or launch a limited production run to see how it flies (this is the no-mans land)
  4. Entrepreneurs ready to launch (pick your poison at http://www.blynk.io/plans/)

It seems that one way to cover the no-mans land is to allow us to transfer energy WE’VE purchased to someone we share access to our projects. But maybe that’s not enough to cover the long-term costs of hosting, etc.?

I think he meant $990/year