Connection problems since iOS app upgrade

I’m experiencing some issues since upgrading to the latest iOS version of the Blynk app on Saturday. Can anyone help with these or note them as bugs that need fixing please?

1. Often when I open the app (even if it has been left running in the background) the projects are in the stopped state and I get a message saying it can’t connect to the Blynk server. After a second or two this message disappears and the project switches to the running state. This never used to happen on the old version and means there is now often a couple of seconds delay before I can use the app.

2. On some of my projects I have sliders that are used to control lighting dimmers. On one project this slider always reverts to the 100% setting after the connection issue described above - even if it had previously been at zero. So that means that a lot of the times when I open the Blynk app, one of my lights that I want to be off is turning itself on. That never happened before the update either.

3. The final annoying thing is that sometime during the night it changed the order of my project screens. What I mean by that is that I have 5 projects in the app and when I went to bed last night they appeared in the order A, B, C, D, E. When I woke up this morning they had changed to A, C, B, E, D.

Is there a way to roll back to the old version? This new one really doe shave too many bugs and makes Blynk unusable.

Do you perform Blynk.virtualWrite for pin of that widget?

We changed sort behavior. Now latest updated project should be first. So if your hardware changed a value of some pin on dashboard X, this X dash will appear first.

Anyway thank you for feedback. We will investigate.

@davidmiles could you please give me your account?

@Dmitriy, @Pavel, maybe in the future it would be good to post the changes in the Announcement sections with the corresponding version numbers of App, platform, library, major changes etc. They are probably documented on GitHub, but I would very much like to see something on the forum because it’s way more accessible for users. Just a thought :slight_smile:

In latest iOS update where ~100 changes like this. Do you really want to see them all :grinning:?

That’s why I said major, lol. A link to the full update would also be nice. Users have to get triggered there is a new update. They’ll go and find it out themselves, but I didn’t know for example. After a user has been “activated” it’ll be much more likely that he or she will find out stuff for themselves first before asking questions here. E.g. look at stuff which has changed with the update of said component.

Ok. we will try to improve that.

1 Like

It also may be a nice way to collect all information and possible bugs in one location on the forum, that would also be very handy for you guys :wink:

Do you mean my email address or the project key?

That’s quite irritating. My solution for now has been to follow @scargill’s advice and ditch Blynk in favour of Node Red UI. So far it seems much more reliable and they don’t have any plans to start charging people. Details here:

@davidmiles email address.

All current bugs are temporary and will be fixed. Many cool new features added, so we have no resources to test all well. Blynk is very huge in terms of possibilities at the moment. If you afraid of possible bugs in every new release just do not update your app. Simple as that.

Have PM’d it to you.

I forgot to say - yes I am doing virtual writes to that pin but not at the time when the slider moves by itself.

Also I don’t think you said anything about this bit:

Often when I open the app (even if it has been left running in the background) the projects are in the stopped state and I get a message saying it can’t connect to the Blynk server. After a second or two this message disappears and the project switches to the running state. This never used to happen on the old version and means there is now often a couple of seconds delay before I can use the app.

Ok, but some of the bugs - such as Node Red disconnects - have been there since I first started using Blynk in October and make the system completely unusable.

But this is not Blynk product. This is community developed “bridge” between Blynk and Node Red. And as I know problem is in Node Red itself. Right, @tzapulica?

right @Dmitriy
@davidmiles blynk was not intended to be used with node red, but they have released a js library and i took the liberty of integrating that into node red.

as it stands there are the following parts

• blynk.cc server - blynk
  • blynk-library-js - blynk
  • node-red-contrib-blynk - me

since i am doing this in my spare time, progress has been a lot slower than i hoped.
my own server that i lost the ability to login into, has also been running for a looooong time now sending data every second, but am yet to integrate mqtt to see if that causes issues
any contributions are welcome, but i do have to stress that that I and the contrib are in no way supported/developed or the responsability of blynk :smiley:

[quote=“Dmitriy, post:17, topic:3601”]
And as I know problem is in Node Red itself. Right, @tzapulica?
[/quote] this is for sure incorrect, I had a stable node-red contrib-blynk scheme running for a few weeks (Acheved by having only one server connection instead of multiple connections) that was until the latest iOS update now I am getting multiple disconnects/reconnects each 5 seconds at least twice a day, like the first poster said is there a way to revert to the previous iOS app?

1 Like

What disconnect do you mean? Could you please describe it?

I don’t know. Never did it.

@Toshi_Bass @scargill @davidmiles
the wonderful blynk guys are looking into adding http, websockets and possibly mqtt protocols right into blynk
now this would cut out two of the middle man libraries(mine and blynk js) and possibly make it all more reliable.

i know waiting is hard, but as they are continuously improving, i for one am really excited to see what they come up with.

maybe i ll update my lib just to package the commands and use whatever transport they offer for simplicity… that might work with both mqtt and websockets