Cannot connect node-red using node-red-contrib-blynk-iot on RPi

Okay. Go for Node.js 12.17.x or later (preferably 14.x) as Node-Red 2.0 has been released today, and 12.17.x is the earliest version that it supports.

At this stage, I wouldn’t recommend going to 2.0, as I’ve not tested it with the Blynk IoT contrib yet.

Pete.

Which platform(s) are you using? Windows? RPi?

Thanks,
Larry

RPI4 running Buster.

Pete.

I’m running RPI3, Stretch. Did you go through installing SSL certificates?

No.

Pete.

In the process of updating node.js. I really don’t want to update my OS if I don’t have to. I have a pretty extensive project running on the RPI and would hate to have to rebuild that.

Thanks for your help. Its nice to have someone point out the things you’ve missed.

Larry

1 Like

Updated to Node-RED version: v2.0.1 (I know, you suggested to stay 1.xx, it came along with the node.js) and Node.js version: v12.22.2.

My simple test flow is working. I’ll move on to moving the other nodes over. I’ll update as to whether everything works or if I have more problems.

Thanks again!

Larry

1 Like

That’s good to hear.

You should read this:

and look at the other open and closed issues for the new Blynk IOT contrib, so you understand the limitations and the working features.

Are you using MQTT to communicate with the devices you’re controlling?

Pete.

Pete,

I had read your Feedback comments before attempting my conversion. Very helpful.

Yes, I am using MQTT. I’ve modelled my implementation after your work, My home automation projects built with MQTT and Node Red - Projects made with Blynk - Blynk Community.

I am happy to report I’ve completed my conversion and everything appears to be working as expected. I have implemented the LCD node and it is functioning for me.

To summarize my issue, the problem appears to have been an outdated version of Node.js.

Thanks again for helping find that solution.

Larry

1 Like

Good to hear Larry.
It’s always nice to hear of another convert to the dark side :smiley:

One of the things I’m doing with my migration to Blynk 2.0 with the new version of the Blynk contrib is to use a single device.

Previously, I’d started by going down the route if one Blynk device per physical device. However, this quickly became quite messy, so I switched to one device per room, but that wasn’t ideal.
Because of the way that the Blynk 2.0 app forces the use of tiles, and I only want to use one tile for my UK home and one for my holiday home, I’ve used one device per home.
This allows me to use the 256 virtual pins to display data in the one tile, ln multiple tabs.

This isn’t done to save devices (I have free access to the PRO plan, so that’s not an issue) but simply want everything in one place to allow me to to use a single tile.

Pete.

Just did some more testing, and it seems I was injecting data in the wrong format when I did my testing. I’ve updated the issues log to reflect the fact that it works as expected.

Pete.

I agree with you about the device/tiles. My project is very simple. It would be nice to go straight to my screen with the tabs instead of the tile first. The price of progress ;-).

Good to hear the LCD is working for you now. Again, my project is very simple and the conversion, while time consuming, was pretty straight forward. In most cases, I simply replaced the write event and write nodes from the old ws lib with their counterparts in the iot lib. It took me days to get to the Node.js solution. I went down too many wrong rabbit holes.

Larry

1 Like

So, I’ve found something that acts differently between the old websockets lib and the IOT lib. I’m using the terminal on my IOS device app. Neither lib had a terminal node but I found if I send strings to the terminal virtual pin, the terminal acted as expected in the old lib but not in the new lib.

The IOS device must be unlocked and open to the Blynk app for the terminal to display anything sent to it with the new lib.

Do you have any experience with the terminal widget?

Larry

That sounds like an issue with the new app rather than the Node-Red contrib.

Have you tested it doing Blynk.virtualWrites from C++ ?

Are you using Android or iOS?

Pete.

Agreed. Move to a new topic? Should we ask Gab to look into adding a terminal node? I am, after all, essentially using virtualwrite rather than terminal.write. But that seemed to work just fine under blynk 0.1.

I’m not running Blynk code anywhere, only using node-red.

iOS, both iPad and iPhone.

I’d start a new issue on the Blynk GitHub site (link from the Blynk desktop).

You could add that as an issue on his GitHub site if you wish, but personally I think that the Write node is sufficient.

But digging-out a NodeMCU and flashing it with one of the example sketches might speed-up the fix.

Pete.

yes i tried write works finr

@VIGHNESHNS2008 have you tested writing to the terminal when the device is locked, and killing the app then re-opening and checking that the data you wrote previously is still displayed in the terminal?

Pete.

I’m out this afternoon (California time) so I’ll start the new issue tomorrow.

Agreed. Let’s explore the Blynk avenue first, as that is what has changed in my mind.

I’ll give that a try. I wasn’t very good at blynk code which is why I moved to the node-red solution :wink:

I have some screen shots to better illustrate the issue I’m seeing with the terminal widget. I’ll add those on the new issue on GitHub.

Thanks Pete.

Larry

Pete,

Appears that Android users also experiencing this issue as well. Before opening a new issue, I checked to see if anyone else saw the problem. Appears someone did. Issue #120.

doom369 is working on it. I’ll stop beating my against the wall now…

1 Like