Blynk_WM keeps returning to configuration mode, not saving wifi credentials

This is more of a third party Blynk_WM question but I didn’t find/couldn’t post to on GitHub any similar community Q&A section.

So I’m using Adafruit qt py esp32-s2, the esp32-s2 wifi connection to router using Blynk_WM , and Blynk IoT/2.0 app on my Galaxy s10e (Android v12) phone. Blynk server blynk.cloud, using Arduino IDE Blynk library v1.0.1 example ESP32_WiFi + Blynk_WM wifi manager.

With Blynk_WM setting LOAD_DEFAULT_CONFIG_DATA = true in BlynkSimpleEsp32_WM.h, with correct wifi credentials hard coded as per Blynk_WM README, wifi manager works good, connects to Blynk server.

However now i’d like to enter WiFi credentials manually from the config portal, so I set LOAD_DEFAULT_CONFIG_DATA = false. Then sketch enters configuration mode with config portal and blank credentials, as expected, and so I enter my same valid wifi credentials and save, and per serial monitor the sketch saves credentials, shows no errors or warnings etc., and resets as expected per README. But always then after reset it returns to the config portal, with blank credentials again, and never does it connect to Blynk or WiFi. It seems like it isn’t saving my credentials.

Anyone run into this issue has solved it?

Thanks

#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial

/* Fill-in your Template ID (only if using Blynk.Cloud) */
#define BLYNK_TEMPLATE_ID "TMPL********"
#define BLYNK_DEVICE_NAME "B*****"

#define USE_LITTLEFS          false
#define USE_SPIFFS            false
#define TIMEOUT_RECONNECT_WIFI                    10000L
#define RESET_IF_CONFIG_TIMEOUT                   true
#define CONFIG_TIMEOUT_RETRYTIMES_BEFORE_RESET    5
#define USE_SSL               false  
#define USE_DYNAMIC_PARAMETERS                    false

#include <EEPROM.h>
#include <WiFi.h>
#include <WiFiClient.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp32_WM.h>

BLYNK_WRITE(V1)
{
  int pinValue = param.asInt();
  digitalWrite(8, pinValue);
}

void setup()
{
  // Debug console
  pinMode(8, OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600);

Blynk.begin();
}

void loop()
{
  Blynk.run();
}

Is there any reason why you aren’t using Edgent?
It also gives you Blynk.Air, which is very nice.

Pete.