Blynk with BLE

Hi, I tried to make a Christmas Led Tree for my son and take a look at my old Blynk project.
With the wire connection, it worked well. So I tried with smaller option BLE.
But it failed with all the modules I have: mCookie with BLE, Adafruit Feather 32u4 with BLE and Arduino 101.
I started with simple sketch (just BLE widget to connect to device) but no luck. The BLE widget always stop at “Connecting…”

Anyone have same problem or know how to overcome this one?

I’m not sure about your specific project, but I’ve run into the same symptoms on Arduino101 with the latest Android app update. Did you start your project more than a couple days ago? If so, Blynk added a “connection type” in the project settings that defaults to “Ethernet.” That change broke all my older BLE projects. You can change that in project settings->device->connection type.

I can confirm that latest version works with Blend Micro, tomorrow I will check Arduino 101

@lucasainsworth I tested with Onion Omega through Wifi, it worked well. So I think that Wifi and Ethernet are ok. But none of my bluetooth device work: mCookie, Adafruit 32u4 BLE & Arduino 101. I want to try with LightBlue Bean+ but Blynk on Android seems not support (cant find in the list).

@vshymanskyy Thanks for the node js library for Linux. Just one thing: I tried with your example: client-ssl.js. VirtualPin 1 is ok but VirtualPin 9 with write to Android always get Error Client Command (query data from Android every 1 sec). Could you please show me the document for blynk-library. Is there any intend to port to python? Since other libraries for Onion are also python.

hi @icce

We are investigating issues with ble bugs, does the change in project’s device(s) settings to ble/bluetooth connection type helped you or not? I could send you a new build to check is the issue fixed or not.

About LightBlue Bean - we still have some issues with connection between Android and LBB device, that’s why it is still not in the list. Maybe @vshymanskyy could provide more info on it’s support.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgwivvzu24676qf/blynk_app-2.0.2-log.apk?dl=0 - could you check this build? and if it still has the issue - make long press on screen’s title and in that share dialog select gmail/mail and send configured email to alexkipar@gmail.com, also add there you device model info.

@lucasainsworth @icce Arduino 101 works:

[1000] 
    ___  __          __
   / _ )/ /_ _____  / /__
  / _  / / // / _ \/  '_/
 /____/_/\_, /_//_/_/\_\
        /___/ v0.4.1 on Arduino 101

Waiting for connections...
[28046] Ready

@BlynkAndroidDev Thanks for your concern. I installed the new build but the issue still there. Connecting… keep appearing in both Android and Microduino side. I haven’t tried with Adafruit yet. Maybe tomorrow.

@vshymanskyy That’s a good news. I may try again today.

Could you send a log from that build? i’ve described how to do it in my previous post.

Also have you tried to change connection type of one of the devices in your project to BLE?

Also is there any connected with your smartphone BLE devices?
And could you add more info about your smartphone: model and OS version ?

Please use latest library version:

@BlynkAndroidDev At this moment I want to test BLE connection to control my device since my wifi is a portable one (I dont have any wire connection at home). And I tested BLE with just Blynk-based device.
My phone is Sony Xpedia 3, Android OS 5.0.2

@vshymanskyy I tried with Adruino 101 (Blynk example), but still failed. Could you send me the sketch of Arduino and Blynk project work, so that I could find out what is my issue?

PS: tried both PyBlynk and Blynk-library with Onion Omega, and both worked well. But Omega memory is really small, so that I can only use either Python or Node JS.

The provided example in library works for me - so maybe someone from the community will help.

@vshymanskyy Thanks, after many tries, finally Arduino 101 worked for me. But I found out that the bluetooth connection is not stable enough for home application. Sometimes it keeps connecting. Or after connected, if your screen go black and you unlock the device again, the connection was cut off and have to connect again. That means you have to connect again.
At this moment, I think that wifi and ethernet may be the best connection of Blynk.

Tips for Arduino 101 BLE is if it’s not connect or keep saying connecting, you should turn off your bluetooth then turn on and try connect again. That should work for me at this moment.

Thanks Blynk team.

Hmm. Thanks. We will try to improve it in the upcoming releases.

Thanks for your report, we’ll investigate this issue. App on being paused for background is stopping all connections, due to battery usage issues. Bluetooth and BLE connections should restart after app’s resume - I’ll check if it not works correctly.