Blynk project information page

So let me add something to the mix. Not so much a widget but an additional feature nonetheless: a project information page. Containing:
Blynk app version
Blynk server version (in case of local)
All the tokens with name - mac address - lib version and ip address.
and perhaps other useful stuff that I don’t think of currently.
Ideally the page can also be copied to memory (copy paste purposes).

Usecase: retrieving and providing quick information about your project for e.g. debug purposes or on this forum.

Actually this sub-topic was about the alternative graphical creations of @Blynk_Coeur not necessarily widget suggestions… but yours is good and simular has been asked for, so I recommend creating a IDEA topic for it, or searching out similar one and added to them as that seems to help boost interest :wink:

We had that already. You need to go to “Project list View” and click on “i” button.

We can’t as this is violates GDPR requirements.

I know but thats really limited and does not contain a copy paste button and all the other stuff I mentioned. Reason I ask is because I’m a dev on another forum for another piece of software and we ask user to copy paste the ‘debug info’ (which is what we call it) quite a lot.

@Gunner do you want to split off my post or should I create a new topic with the same text?

I can understand the IP and MAC, but the library version? and what about server version?

I mean just IP and MAC.

Yes, I agree… something, perhaps added to the existing info page in the App, that shows ALL related info for all Blynk aspects… including Local Server and Library versions… perhaps even ESP core if allowed.

This information is already available to the user (with some effort) from within the app and with the information page it would (should!) ONLY be available to the user. Its up to the user to share that information (or not). So I don’t see how that would violate GDPR requirements.

Nonetheless if you feel uncomfortable about this, then the rest would still be really helpful.

In order to show IP we have to track it and save in on the server side. And storing means we have to explain to every user why do we store it according to GDPR. So for us it is easier to do not store this info either to explain why we need it.

Ah i get it. That’s not what I meant the local ip of the local devices, not the external ip of the connection.

But i guess the same applies

Ok I’ve done some more research, I was investigating GDPR anyway as I’m currently working on this (not the technical development but the general outline and connecting EU investors to this platform). A couple of things that are of interest;

• for me its was relevant that GDPR applies to individuals NOT companies, so that basically sets us in the clear as we’re only working with companies
  • for Blynk matters obviously lie differently. You biggest concern is that EU citizen data must be stored on EU soil, I don’t know where your blynk server(s) are but thats a rather essential one.
  • next GDPR applies to data by which an individual can be uniquely identified (e.g. e-mail address). So a mac-addres seems to be fitting that category neatly a local IP address not. Its impossible to link someone to e.g. 192.168.1.83
  • where stuff gets a bit fuzzy is the fact that I can retrieve my mac address of my iot devices and use these in blynk: effectively storing them on the blynk-server. So whether there’s a big difference with the user collecting that data and storing it on your server or the app collects that data and stores it on the server… Another rather important part is that in your case you’ll also have to deal with companies using Blynk for end-users. If they make use of the Blynk server they have to close an agreement with you over the stored data of their end-users.

I have a rather big interest in this because I work with/coach/advise a LOT of start-ups and this is especially for start-ups the new pain. For one: has Blynk already employed a ‘data privacy officer’? Its good that you don’t actually have to have someone like that employed, but can have such an officer on a ‘when required contract’, but its yet another time and money sink for start-ups…

Anyway, the final point is is that these changes and ‘blynk’ in general should be checked by such an (certified) officer. I don’t think you’ll have to worry too much over this initially as I cannot imagine that the EU starts squeezing start-up companies. The only risk you run (if you don’t comply) is a user or company (competition) with mal-intent.

this topic is derailing fast, so lets keep it at this.

1 Like

We are ok here.

Correct. However, in case of Internet and Cloud you’ll get user external IP and not local.

Agree, this is the tricky part. As a user I can put own mac address even in the calculator.

But a MAC address doesn’t identify an individual.
With a traditional MAC address, the first part identifies the manufacturer and the second part the specific device. But there is no requirement for MAC addresses to be unique (except within the same LAN of course) and with things like the Arduino Ethernet shield there in no in-built MAC, you gave to set it yourself.
You can also spoof or clone a MAC address very easily, so a MAC is no more revealing than in internal IP address from the public pool.

Pete.

not quite so. An internal IP addres is generic. A MAC addres certainly not. Its a unique fingerprint that can be linked to a user and with it the user can be identified as that user.

But for most basic forum diagnostic purposes what we can benefit from most is a one-spot listing of all Blynk and ESP core version numbers and determination of Cloud or Local server… Only in specific instances do we need IPs (and can simply ask for that), and rarely ever need MAC addresses.

But it’s not unique, that’s my point.

Pete.