Blynk crashing on startup, help!

As of last night, Blynk (iOS) has been refusing to start for me. I made no changes to my code, one minute it worked and the next it had stopped. The Blynk logo flashes up for less than a second and then I’m back to the home screen.

Things I’ve tried:

Upgrading iOS (to a new update issued this morning)
Uninstalling and reinstalling Blynk (runs after reinstall but crashes the instant I log in)
Turning off the device I use with Blynk (ESP8266)
Restarting the device I use with Blynk.

Phone: iPhone SE (Currently iOS 12.2, but previous release when the problem started last night)
Blynk: 2.25.0 (as of this morning’s reinstall; presumably the same last night)
Server: Blynk server

I’ve used Blynk to control my heating for a couple of years now, and never had a problem as serious as this. :frowning:

Have you restarted your phone?
Is it the same if you connect via both Wi-Fi and mobile data?
Have you tried resetting your network settings on your phone?

Pete.

Hi, yes to the first two questions. I’m not sure what you mean by resetting my network settings, but other internet-connected apps work fine, so I don’t think it’s a connectivity problem.

Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings

I’m running the same version of Blynk on an iPhone 6, with the same IOS version and don’t have any problems. The Blynk cloud servers haven’t recorded any downtime in the past week, so it’s not a server issue.

It could possibly be an issue with your Blynk account, I don’t know. The easiest way to check is probably to type:
blynk-cloud.com/yourAuthcode/project
(Replacing yourAuthcode with the Auth code of the device you’re using) in to the address bar of your browser. If it comes back with several lines of json data about your project then the chances are that it’s not an issue with your Blynk account.

You could always create a new account and see if that works for your phone.

If it’s not that then it’s almost certainly an issue with your phone, so resetting the network settings is where I’d start.

Pete.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Resetting network settings - Didn’t work
blynk-cloud.com/yourAuthcode/project - JSON settings displayed
New account - seems to work but doesn’t help regain control of my original account
Switching back to original account - immediate crash

That’s one for the developers then.
Maybe send a PM to @Eugene explaining the issue and the email address of the account that you’re having a problem with.

Pete.

Beginner question, but how do I do that? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find the option! New account, could that be the reason?

You might want to update your library and recompile your code to your device.

Blynk hase three sections that are all constantly in development, App, Library & Server. And if one or more gets too far out of sync (version wise) with the rest, strange things can start happening.

Click on eugene’s name (in green in my earlier post). The window that pops up should have a “Message” link in the top right hand corner.
If it’s not there then let me know and I’ll change your user permission levels.

Pete.

@paulr4 Try to install latest beta build - 2.26.0 (6)

To join beta testing: https://testflight.apple.com/join/eENtSEtD

You may want to previously uninstall the existing Blynk app from your phone

1 Like

@Eugene, I’ve installed TestFlight and the beta, and it seems to work fine. Only problem I can see is a graphical one - when a tab is selected, its name disappears.

When will the changes made in the beta filter through to the released version?

@PeteKnight I don’t have that link, please do change my permissions.
@Gunner I updated the device a few weeks back, and the problem persists even when the device is turned off, so I don’t think it’s the cause.

I’ve bumped you up a level, that should do it.

Pete.

Did you check color setting in Tab Settings → Active Text?

Thanks, that fixed it. Do you know when will it be safe for me to switch back to the standard release?

I know, I wasn’t claiming it was. I just made a general recommendation based on the info you provided… eliminating all other potential issues makes it easier to track down the primary solution.

Generally once “beta” features are tested, refined and updated, they become the next "standard’ release and your system should announce that update as usual. Meanwhile, just carry on as normal, as you shouldn’t notice any general operational difference.