BLYNK
HOME       📲 GETTING STARTED       📗 DOCS       ❓HELP CENTER       👉 SKETCH BUILDER

Blynk Client doesn't reconnect after internet loss

I tried to find a solution for my problem searching google and this forum but had no luck so far. Some suggestions came close but I am kinda stuck and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
My Setup:
Raspberry Pi Zero
Blynk Cloud Server
Blynk Android App.

I installed everything following this guide:
Garage Door
The whole setup was real easy and nice, with one hiccup it works UNLESS I loose WLAN or Internet connection for a minute.
Once internet is gone or wlan drops out, I have to restart the blynk client on the raspberry because it doesn’t reconnect on its own. (app on android shows a red exclamation mark and tells me the last time it was online)

What I’ve done so far:
I followed some guides and created a script which checks if the raspberry has an active internet connection, if the connection is down it restarts wlan0 and the blink client.

# The IP for the server you wish to ping (8.8.8.8 is a public Google DNS server)
SERVER=8.8.8.8

#specify wlan interface
WLANINTERFACE=wlan0

# Only send two pings, sending output to /dev/null
ping -I ${WLANINTERFACE} -c2 ${SERVER} > /dev/null

# If the return code from ping ($?) is not 0 (meaning there was an error)
if [ $? != 0 ]
then
   # Restart the wireless interface

ip link set wlan0 down
       ip link set wlan0 up
sleep 10s

sudo /opt/nodejs/bin/blynk-client MY-TOKEN

fi

I made a crontab entry which runs the script every 10min.

The problem is, if I loose connection for a minute or so, the blink client looses connection, but when the script checks the 8.8.8.8, the connection is on again and it won’t trigger the blink-client restart.

One solution I could think of would be a crontab entry which restarts the client no matter what, but I reckon there must be some more elegant way to do it.

Sorry for any english mistakes, it’s not my native langugage (german is). I am not too good at linux (barely beginner) but usually I can find my way around with guides but here I am kinda stuck.

To be honest, a Raspberry Pi is the wrong hardware for a project like this.
You’d be far better using a NodeMCU and programming it in C+.
With the Pi, there is a lot of work to do in setting-up and maintaining the operating system, and programming them is much more difficult.
There are dozens of examples of how to manage reconnection for the NodeMCU, but as you’ve discovered, very few people use a Pi as a Blynk client.

Pete.

Yeah hindsight and all that. :wink: well I had a raspberry zero laying around so I tried m luck with that.