Blynk Bridge Feature in the new Blynk IOT App

Hi, I sorely miss the subject feature in the new blynk app to send data/binary between different devices. I checked out the Automation feature of the new app and from what I could understand it only works within the device and not between devices, unless I am missing something.

Please guide me or provide me a link to the help page which can help solve my requirement

1 Like

That’s not right.

Have you checked this

HiJohn, I did go through it and also a video on the subject Tutorial: set up and use Automations in the Blynk app - YouTube, but couldn’t find how “action” can be sent to a different device. For example I run a pump which is on a different device, based on level signals from another device which is sent through the bridge feature of the legacy Blynk. I am trying to find an equivalent solution for this in the new app, hence the question. An example or video on device to device communication can help. This is a key feature for me because I am currently using Blynk bridge to run two different pumps and send data to a different LCD.

You can certainly use automations to control one device based on the values from another.

As the documentation states, the datastream on the receiving device needs to be configured correctly on the device that’s being controlled. This is done in the Automations tab of the template, and the device needs to have the “action” switch turned on for it to be available when you are configuring the automation on the mobile device.

I don’t believe that there is a way to send sensor data from one device to another so that it can be displayed on an LCD though.

If your sending device is something like a NodeMCU or ESP32 then you can use the HTTP(S) API to make your own bridge within your sketch. There are some coding examples in this topic, from this point onwards…

I think that there may now be limits to how often HTTP(S) calls can be made, or how many can be made in a 24 hour period, but you’d need to experiment with that.

Pete.

There’s no need to send the sensors data to the other device, instead the first device will read the sensor and you will use automation to send a run command to the other device to preform an action based on that data, something like this

In this example device esp32 will read the temperature sensor and send command to device nodemcu to switch on the light.

Hi, also for me the bridge is fundamental in Blynk (bridge is completely different from the automations, which so far are not interesting for me)

unfortunately I am unable to migrate some of my projects to the new blynk due to the lack of bridge communication, which is very important to me on the new platform. The very useful thing about bridge is that I was able to send data from various hardware devices such as arduino nano and nodemcu.

Example 1:
Through arduino nano + esp01 I read a tank, this virtual value is sent via “bridge” to a Nodemcu connected to an lcd1602 display, where the parameters are read simultaneously on both the blynk app and the LCD.

Example 2:
Reading and control system of 2 tanks with 2 arduino nano + esp01 in the communication bridge and 1 relay.

In this project there are 2 cisterns about 400 meters apart, one is the main one and the other of rainwater, both read the cisterns by sending their values ​​to the app.
When the main tank is equal to or less than 30% and the rainfall is greater than 30%, a pump turns on which sends water to the main tank, when the rainfall value is equal to or less than 10% the motor does not start or if activated it turns off automatically.

In other words, if it can also be reached via one of the 2 non-presence cards, or if it can be reached via the bridge, both turn on again after 30 seconds, returning the relays to the on state.

I hope the bridge will be reintroduced soon because at the moment it is a big limit …
Thank you.

1 Like

I’ve not heard of any plans to re-introduce Bridge, and TBHit wasn’t well understood by most people. Having a Bridge widget that didn’t do anything didn’t help though!

If you swapped your Nano + ESP-01 hardware for a NodeMCU or Wemos D1 Mini (or Pro if signal strength is an issue) would allow you to use my HTTP(S) bridge solution.

Pete.

Node-RED is so useful, give it a try.

Just one more “feature” that Blynk 2.0 missed. Hard to replace a mature system without knowing which features are being relied on. Couldn’t survive without the bridge feature. Routing “actions” but not “data” is not a replacement. Legacy looks better every day.

4 Likes

Thsnks PeteKnight for your suggestions. I will try it out and get back

sure will learn more about it

I full agree with the comments made by seby and scottBB that such a mature and easy to use system with very useful and powerful features is being replaced something which is neither backward compatible or better than the previous versions.

Bridge was so easy setup and very powerful. I hope the concerned in Blynk will heed our request and fully replicate the bridge feature as it existed.

1 Like

Hi John93, I have a nodemcu device which measures water level in a basement tank and using the bridge feature a different Nodemcu device displays the level at a location elsewhere in the facility on an LCD . This feature is very important for me and from what you explained that is not possible. But sending binary switch signals to a different device to turn on a motor driven equipment based on variable values in the first device is possible from what you have stated.

You can use api to send data between devices, or Node-RED which is the most recommended

Due to the lack of the BRIDGE to send the level to a display I used ESP-NOW, even if it works at a short distance …
Of course Blynk Bridge is the correct solution.

I use bridge extensively in my Blynk implementations, which all involve the “mesh” of multiple CPUs and a more capable local raspberry Pi server. I think that 2.0 is targeted at a different market where single CPU systems probably dominate. No doubt that market is much more lucrative for the Blynk team.