Automation for notification of offline event not working

Hi Jonh93, sorry for the delay in replying, it has been a busy weekend. I am using Blynk 2 notifications sucessfully. However, I wanted to investigate other options, I am also using Pushover sucessfully. I was interested in what you would suggest. I have read your reply to nandoml1 and will look at that. I use an Android phone. Basically I want to receive an alert when an ESP device stops sending its data via MQTT. In Node-Red if a MQTT message isn’t received every 15 minutes a timer times out and sends a Pushover message to my phone, that has been reliable over about 4 weeks now.
I would be interested in your solution if you have a similar situation.

There’s no need to use Pushover. You can simply create an automation that will send a notification to your phone and trigger it using Blynk API.

I have a Blynk automation set up, but Blynk notifcations are limited on a rolling 24 hour cycle whereas Pushover notifcations are not, within fair use, limited for only a $5 fee, I am not intending t oget rid of Blynk BTW.

I used Pushover when the Legacy notifications were very basic. Pushover allowed longer messages, embedded URLs, different alert levels and generally much more flexibility.
To a degree, Blynk IoT has addressed some of these issues, so the need for Pushover has disappeared in my use case.

I do think that you’re doing something wrong if you set-up a system that bombards you with any type of notification dozens of times per day., as sooner or later you’ll become de-sensitised to the messages and an important one will be missed.
I go for the “Reporting by Exception” approach, wher all of my notifications are important and prompt me to dive into the app and take a closer look, or to take some other action.

Once a critical situation has been flagged-up via a notification, I don’t need to be repeatedly reminded of it, I just want to be told if it happens again after I’ve supposedly rectified the situation.

The only alerts that I can’t control in that way are related to a doorbell and access to a property location by a particular group of people using RFID fobs.
However, nobody is going to be ringing my doorbell 100 times per day, or entering the property via RFID tag.
The beauty of Node-Red as my rules engine is that if a situation occurred where I was expecting someone (a group of contractors maybe) to be coming and going much more than usual is that I can temporarily disable these notifications without having to re-program my device that’s in the field.

Pete.

@John93 - no, not Android. IOs.

Unfortunately, it’s not compatible with iOS devices.

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your reply and concern. However I am not doing anything wrong and I am not bombarded by messages. I simply want to explore all options and, for example, I may want to use Pushover to send the odd message to my wife’s phone without using Blynk. I am most definitely not averse to using Blynk more but I don’t have your expertise with that or Node-Red so whilst I make my learning journey I will continue to lok at all options, if only for interest sakes.