Arduino 101 - BLE - Blynk - connected but not connected

Greetings!

My problem is that when I try to connect my phone to my Arduino 101 using BLE I get a conformation on my phone stating that I am connected but in the serial monitor it does not say “ready”. I did have this working earlier in the day and I was able to read and write values all I wanted but, all of a sudden, I am unable to send or receive any signals. Bellow is a link to a screenshot of the serial monitor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4AUORUsKn4sZUVNdjk0MGlRN2M/view?usp=sharing

It states that I have disconnected like it should but I am not getting the prompt saying that it is ready.
I tried uninstalling all of the drivers and Arduino programs and reinstall everything but nothing seems to work. I have also tried flashing the Arduino 101 firmware updater. I have also written test programs without the BLE and it all works just fine it just won’t let me send or receive information from the app. I have also restarted each device multiple times with no luck.

My testing code is below.
http://examples.blynk.cc/?board=Arduino%20101&shield=Arduino%20101%20BLE&example=GettingStarted%2FGetData

Hello again.

As per your past topic, Bluetooth and BLE are reported as in BETA… useable but with little glitches that could be as much due to the BT/BLE hardware & phones (I use multiple Androids) as the software.

In my testing with an Arduino UNO & JY-MCU (linvor) Bluetooth Module as well as Light Blue Bean BLE setup, I have noticed that I often must stop and restart the project to reconnect (even if it says connected) after either time has passed, or if exiting the app (via the home button or something - not logging out or stopping project) and even if something times out due to data flooding… but without the same error tracking as would probably be noticed with a traditional App <–> Server <–> Device setup.

I have also noticed times where I have has to “stop” the project twice before it actually showed as stopped with the App icon.

I find it best to keep an Up-Time display running to keep me notified if the connections is active or not, instead of assuming based on the normal indicators.

There are even times when the up-timer stops, but if i press a button or move a slider, etc, then after a few seconds everything continues on and looks active again.

As I said… little glitches here and there… BETA :wink:

I am sure the developers are working on this, but as BT/BLE is not really an ideal “Control your IoT stuff while roaming around the countryside” solution, as is WiFi and GSM, they may? have it on a lower priority list.

Meanwhile continued and detailed info on what happened and how you recovered would probably be helpful.

Also, where possible, please post any images directly to the post instead of 3rd party cloud sites. Just easier for anyone glancing through posts to see. Thanks.

PS - I copy/pasted your screenshot into your post, in case you were unsure of how to upload images yet.

@Destroyer987 Lately I have been focusing on standard BT, but today after my last answer I powered up the only BLE device I have, the LBB to put it through some testing.

I have noticed that it sometimes does disconnect but instead of the usual stop and restart of the app, I have to reconnect within the BLE widget… usually requiring many attempts before it reconnects (sometime even deleting the widget and reloading it is the only solution to get it to reconnect).

As this is a new development from last time I was testing BLE, I was wondering if you are having similar results with the widget?

EDIT: Also can you list all the Blynk App & library, Arduino IDE & Intel Curie Board versions that you arer are running

Guys,

There are several fixes for BLE/Bluetooth reconnection in the new release. @Destroyer987 could you update this thread does the issue still reproduces for you.

A post was split to a new topic: Trouble Triggering LED ON/OFF with BLE Example

A post was split to a new topic: Trouble connecting to iPhone

Arduino 101 BLE won’t work until Intel fixes the bug (it’s confirmed by Intel).

1 Like

Is there an easy way to know when Intel fixes the bug? Or, should I just keep checking for a library update?

Thanks!

btw-Blynk is awesome!!! I’ve had a great time exploring and learning.

1 Like

You’ll have to wait for the library update. They seem to be working on lots of issues for the next release:
https://github.com/01org/corelibs-arduino101/milestone/8

Hello,

Is there any other way to solve this issue. Like flashing older firmware in Arduino 101 or something.

Because we are going to conduct some activity with kids and suddenly all our activities and codes stop working with Blynk app. Before one week everything is working completely file.

Thank you.

Just revert curie core to before 2.0.2…?

1 Like

I tried doing that, but could not get success.

If you could please share some useful link or exact process how can I do that, that would be great for me.

If you tried, how did you not succeed?

Open Arduino IDE.
Click on Tools.
Click on Board.
Click on Boards Manager.
Search for Curie.
Click on Intel Curie Boards by Intel.
Chose older version (1.0.7) and install.

Hello Gunner,

Thank you for your quick response. I already did that but getting following errors during code upload.

Starting download script...
Args to shell: [/Users/sohilpatel/Library/Arduino15/packages/Intel/tools/arduino101load/1.6.9+1.28/x86/bin /var/folders/f9/3qd_4xhn001fpjnmp6ysmlrw0000gp/T/arduino_build_864416/Arduino_101_BLE.ino.bin /dev/cu.usbmodem1411 verbose ATP1BLE000-1541C5635 141312]
Serial Port: /dev/cu.usbmodem1411
BIN FILE /var/folders/f9/3qd_4xhn001fpjnmp6ysmlrw0000gp/T/arduino_build_864416/Arduino_101_BLE.ino.bin
Waiting for device...
Device found!
Verifying BLE version: ATP1BLE000-1541C5635
!! BLE firmware version is not in sync with CurieBLE library !!
* Set Programmer to "Arduino/Genuino 101 Firmware Updater"
* Update it using "Burn Bootloader" menu
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

Any comment for following error.

Googling the error “BLE firmware version is not in sync with CurieBLE library” shows a few options, basically you need to match the BLE firmware with the Curie firmware, or something like that. Although in your case you want to downgrade the firmware to match. It is still done somehow via the IDE.

I don’t use the 101 so can’t really help much more, and it is definitely not a Blynk thing… I suggest you look it up in Google yourself and see if you can figure it out how to also downgrade the BLE firmware on the 101.

Thank you Gunner, I solved this firmware downgrade problem. Now it is working completely fine with Blynk App.

Hey, that is good to hear! :+1: Can you post what you needed to do for the BLE firmware downgrade, as there are a few other 101 users here that might also wish to downgrade, until Intel releases a fix. Thanks.

How did you solve the firmware downgrade?
Thanks.
Jim

@jlmyra I don’t have a 101 to test, so this is just a guess. But if after you “downgrade” to the 1.0.7 board version (as shown above) try then going into Tools, then Programmer, then Arduino/Genuino 101 Firmware Updater. Perhaps that will synchronize the firmware?

I think that’s right. I have been looking around and saw a similar suggestion here-https://github.com/01org/corelibs-arduino101/issues/347

I’ll try it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jim

1 Like