App issues (lagging, crashing when scrolling projects) in older Android devices

For the last week or so I have been noticing issues with the App when I use it on my emulator, I just figured it was the emulator. Then I had a systems crash and had to load another HDD with Win10 and load everything up from new installs… and the same App issue remained?? I gave up and dug out an old tablet to use instead… and the exact same issues appeared again!

OK, so anyhow, once in a project everything is just fine… However, once I try to move to another project, sometimes it works right away, but if I have to scroll any length of time to get to the far end of my project list ('nother issue :stuck_out_tongue: ) then it lags or completely stops… sometimes, rarely, it will restart, but usually just errors out (Google error, not Blynk error).

Android 4.4.2 on the tablet and Emulator
App 2.19.0 (and I believe it was also happening on previous version)
Local Server 0.33.0-java8 (also happened in past version… possibly one prior to that as well?)

Seems OK on newer Android 7.x devices.

Emulator stalled out here…

…then an error a minute or so later…

Simular issue on the tablet…

Too many projects?

Corrupt projects?

Low phone memory?

@Gunner please send us the report from tablet with “Gunner” comment. Seems like low memory issue on first sight.

Possibly the first and last… Common factors are App issue, version of Android and all happened recently along with Blynk updates and addition of some small projects. All projects work fine, but I have a handful (13 I think).

And these are older devices, so while storage is abundant, RAM is always limited… but the emulator allows multi-CPU and custom RAM allotment; I bumped it up to 2 CPU and 2048 RAM… time will tell.

It doesn’t crash with option to send Blynk any reports, it appears to only send to Google… and I don’t think Google cares :stuck_out_tongue:

I send one anyhow with link to this topic… if you don’t get it, perhaps they will join the forum and check :smiley:

I also sent one from the emulator as it added another layer (see below) just in case you do get it.

This is new… Requires me to close out and restart App.

On the emulator 2GB RAM didn’t help, neither did 3GB so I don’t think it is really a memory issue, but hard to confirm as I am unable to check anything without closing the App down first.

I just checked my really old tablet running an “upgraded” version of Android, 5.1.1 slightly different looking error msg layout, but same issue, and no option to send Blynk reports, only to Google. Unable to screenshot, not that that says much anyhow :stuck_out_tongue:

Thankfully it works just fine when simply running the single Solar Monitor project that it does 24/7 :slight_smile:

OK, this is new… the App crashed ‘while’ a small project was running, not while I was transitioning from project to project.

I was busy, so I didn’t do anything about it for a few minutes… but when I next looked, the project was back to actually running in behind the message. Go figure.

I have cloned some of my large and heavy hitting (data transfer between App and Server) projects to my cloud account to see if that makes any difference.

@BlynkAndroidDev FYI.

OK, new update… running multiple heavy hitter projects on my Cloud account and the App is very fast with switching back and forth…

None of those projects are even active on the Local server, but the App just keeps locking up with same Google error msg.

This appears to be a server related issue… any ideas as to what logging would be useful to you?

EDIT - 3 hours later and not a single crash when maneuvering around using same projects on cloud server… but boy are they laggy and slow in comparison :stuck_out_tongue:

Hanging app is definitely app issue.

Except it never hangs when using same projects on Cloud Server & older Android verisons… just magnatudes slower :slight_smile: so makes my large projects unusable aside from this testing.

I am just unsure if something happened IN my server or if this is the result of the recent updates… timing of this sudden issue is suspiciously in tune with the last two? updates.

Or as you say, the App is having the issue and just can’t play nicely with local server updates??

I will leave that all up to the experts… Thankfully I can still use my phone and newer tablet, just not my primary workbench android devices :frowning:

Well, I think updating my server to 0.33.1 and/or the last App update cleared up this issue, as my older Android Apps seem to be running just as smoothly on my Local Server as they did on the Cloud (and prior on my LS).

So thanks for whatever you did, even if you didn’t know you did it :stuck_out_tongue: