~1 sec delay on video streaming widget

Hello,

I want to create a project with a camera and no delay (robot races). For that I used a Raspberry pi 3 with his pi camera, all that are working great (raspistill works). Then I created my streaming server with uv4l. I tested a bunch of them and all have the same issue :confused:
So, after all the things installed, I go on my mobile browser, type the stream link, it opens and works flawlessly without any noticing delay. Same thing for my desktop browser.
But, hereā€™s the problem, when I put this same link in the video streaming widget of Blynk, it has almost 2 sec delay and become really useless for what I want to do. So I would like to know if this weird behavior is normal or hopefully not :slight_smile:
By the way, Iā€™m using an Android 7.1 phone connected to a local blynk server hosted on the same rpi. I have great local internet, so this canā€™t be a real issue.

Thanks !
Regards,

Sure it can :wink:

The Video Widget is a work in progress (well technically all of Blynk is), but this one is more recent and near as I can tell, not handled over the server itself, rather mostly on the App.

Thus, performance and delays may not always be a Blynk specific issueā€¦ I have used many different cameras and devices, as well as running on my Local WiFi network and over my Cell networkā€¦ each device/network and even other activities happening on the phone itself, the phones processing and RAM and even itā€™s WiFi capabilities, as well as type of video stream and whether or not it contains audio, all have an effect.

PS, I have seen similar random delays with other video Apps as well.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer @Gunner. I add a video to make a visually better representation of my problem. (turn on sound to hear the snapping sound and so the delay)
And Iā€™ll wait on future update thenā€¦
Hereā€™s the video :

Regards,

Edit: Maybe it has to do with the networking cache ? Iā€™m trying to bring clues but Iā€™m not sure :smiley:

We already know there can be delaysā€¦ I just stated many reasons.

I once counted a 10 second delay, then switched to my cell network, routing via that through port forwarding and back to my Local Serverā€¦ and suddenly got a much shorter delayā€¦ reason?.. my congested Local WiFi :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In addition, there may be some buffering going on as the Blynk App is constantly processing other data to and from the server, besides the incoming video stream, unlike a dedicated video app.

With every microcontroller app with video that I have used, I have never had true real time video stream while also controlling something else (in my case a rover carrying the camera)ā€¦ just the nature of the multiple data streams.

Just be aware that it is unlikely to be spot on with current phone/wifi tech. But in a few more years we will probably have full 360Ā° with real time processing on our phones :smiley:

PS, disable camera audio and reduce the bitrate of the stream for maximum bandwidth potential.

Impossible, everything has some delay even the speed of light.

1 or 2s delay is quite reasonable.

As already stated dropping down to lowest possible resolution and disabling audio will help.

For minimum delay spend the maximum amount possible on all the hardware available i.e. donā€™t use a $10 Pi use a $10000 ā€œbitcoin minerā€ etc. Donā€™t use cameras that require server routines, buy ones that are able to do their own processing.

Please explain the process

This is a 6 year old topic about a version of Blynk which is no longer supported.

If you have an issue with the video streaming widget in Blynk IoT then I suggest you start a new topic and provide sufficient information to allow community members to understand the issue.

Pete.