Which ESP8266 AT version supported by Library

Hi,

I am using ESP8266 as WiFi shield for Arduino Uno. I have just downloaded Blynk library v0.3.8. Could some one please confirm which AT version is supported by Blynk libraries?

The version on my ESP8266 is 0.60. As I got from example note that library supports v0.22. Is there any way that I can get library for v0.60 or do I need to downgrade AT version to 0.22 ?

Is any one has exact steps to install AT version 0.22 in ESP8266?

Thanks,
Krunal

It was mentioned somewhere, but 0.60 should be no problem. I seem to remember anything from 0.22 upwards is compatible :slight_smile:

Thanks for your quick reply. This is my first project with Blynk. I was using example given from library Blynk->Boards_WiFi->EPS8266_Shield. I have changed baud rate of ESP8266 to 9600 as well.
But when I try to run application from my mobile it says that your arduino UNO is not in network. I have changed token key and user name/password as well in example program.

When I run program, I only get below on Serial Monitor.
ATE0
AT+CIPCLOSE
AT+CIPSTART=“TCP”,“blynk-cloud.com”,8442.

And last two lines are keep repeating. Could you please help.

Thanks,
Krunal

Can you try a telnet to that server from a PC on that port and see if you get a reply? There could possibly a firewall issue on a your modem or router.

Hi,

I tried to telnet blynk-cloud.com which seems not working. The command I used from my window machine as below.

o blynk-cloud.com 8442

After few seconds it asks to press any key. While I press the key, it says connection to host lost.

Thanks,
Krunal

Does it actually say connection lost or something like connection closed by foreign host? It sounds like it works like it should. If the heartbeat signal isn’t send, the server will probably drop the connection to prevent hacker access etc.

Does the app on the phone connect correctly? Because the hardware will connect with a plain TCP connection (not SSL) so that should work in any case, except when you run a firewall on your modem.

Which reminds me, is there a firewall active on your Window machine? If so, try turning it off :slight_smile:

When I write ‘o blynk-cloud.com 8442’, it says press any key.
When I press any of the key, it says ‘connection to host lost’.

I am not sure if this is correct behavior. I will try checkout if firewall is on on my windows or not and will try again.

Thanks a lot for your help. Will let you know if it works after firewall disable on my Windows.

Thanks,
Krunal

Hi,

I tried to disable firewall of my laptop and try to connect it but still my mobile shows Arduino Uno is not in network and getting same thing on serial monitor.

I tried to call AT+CIPCLOSE and
AT+CIPSTART=“TCP”,“blynk-cloud.com”,8442

commands from serial monitor of arduino and for both commands I got reply as OK.

Could you please help what else I can check ?

Thanks,
Krunal

Hold on a second, how are you getting both serial output and trying an ESP as shield on the UNO? Because with that is not going to work with hardware serial ports… the UNO only has 1 serial port.

Hi, I was using Proteus to simulate Arduino. Hence in proteus I can see what is coming in serial output. Hence I used Proteus to simulae Arduino which gives signal to FTDI232 (USB to TTL) which communicates to ESP8266.

I can confirm that the whole hardware and proteus communication works fine as I tried to pass some AT commands and it was sent to ESP8266 successfully.

Thanks,
Krunal

Hi,
Do we have list of commands sent by Blynk library so that I can use the same from my laptop to debug?

All the library files are plain text, so you should be able to use them to see what commands are send. I can’t seem to find it really quick cause there are loads of Libraries.

I’m going to try and use Proteus too, I saw someone else using it too and he could connect fine, @wbadry I think https://vimeo.com/179371402

Maybe that could help to test if your whole simulation setup is ok? I’m pretty sure the AT commands send are basic stuff. You could try standalone ESP and see if you can put out a web request, because after all, that is what Blynk does too. So just get a google search going and determine if it’s not working at all or something with Blynk in conjunction with something else.

Thanks for your response. Just a thought here… When I power up esp8266 it already gets connected to my home wifi. should that be a problem?

Also when I looked at esp8266 library it shows that it is using v0.22 or v0.18 of AT commands and it is commented that version can be changed by updating macro. Do you thing anything needs to be changed based on AT version?

Thanks,
Krunal

No, probably not. It’ll work fine. Did you setup the correct baudrates in both the ESP and the sketch? That could be something to look into. If the ESP already connects to the network I think you have to use Blynk.config() instead of Blynk.begin().

The baud rate should be correct because command ATE0 works fine and it turns off the echo.

I will try to replace Blynk.config() instead of Blynk.begin().

Thanks,
Krunal.

I tried to telnet again. I opened telnet and provided below command
open cloud-blynk.cc 8442, after few seconds I got response ‘connection to host lost’.

Also I tried to use command AT+CIPSTART=“TCP”,“cloud-blynk.cc”,8442 from Arduino’s serial monitor but getting reply as error. Hence at this moment it looks like there is an surely a issue with some network.

I am not sure how to check if my laptop is reachable to cloud-blynk.cc 8442. Is there any way I can test and make correct connection ?

Thanks,
Krunal

@bhavsak1 ‘connection to host’ lost is the expected response as you are not passing a token when you do the Telnet connection, so the test was successful in as far as you found the Blynk server.

But you are going to the wrong server, it was changed a few months ago. If you have the latest library (0.3.8) it will attempt to connect to the correct server (blynk-cloud.com).

Edit: I see from your OP that you have 0.3.8 and I guess you just tried to Telnet to the wrong server rather than your hardware is using the old libraries.

Thanks for help. I am using library 0.3.8 and I checked that it is try to connect blynk-cloud.com. However when I am trying to simulate from Proteus it is not working. Hence I tried to feed commands to ESP8266 directly through serial monitor.
Very few time I get ok reply from AT+CIOSTART=“TCP”,“blynk-cloud.com”,8442. When I tried to provide AT+CIPSEND=5 I also got okay reply, but when I tried to provide AT+CIPSEND=32, it got CLOSE. May be because of there is some time limit.

I am not sure why only few time AT+CIOSTART command works. Most of the time I got error in the same. Is there specific setting required for AT+CIOSTART command to work.

Thanks,
Krunal

Sorry I just noticed that it is CIPSTART :stuck_out_tongue:. I will check the same again from serial monitor if it is working.

Thanks,
Krunal

Hi,

I tried to pass below commands in sequence
AT+CIPSTART=“TCP”,“blynk-cloud.com”,8442—> this worked fine I got reply as CONNECT
AT+CIPSEND=5–> this worked fine I got reply as Recv 5 byte SEND OK
AT+CIPSEND=32 --> this worked fine
<32 bit key> -> I passed my blynk key here, and got reply as Recv 32 bytes SEND OK

After that I got CLOSE after that. Is there anything else required after this ?

Thanks,
Krunal