[SOLVED] Serial USB, can't get it to connect

Thanks for the info Gunner. I just gave up yesterday and tried to connect through ethernet instead which works perfect :slight_smile:

Hi Gunner,

I am a new member and also experiencing the same issues as the tbarritt and ulle2. After executing blynk-ser.bat -c COM4 -b 9600 -s 46.101.143.225 -p 8442
The Arduino UNO responded with a DSR is OFF. Also, the Blynk app says itā€™s offline.

My question is, what is DSR? Is there some kind of relationship between DSR and the offline message from the Blynk app?

I like to think of myself as a problem solver and not ready to give up :slight_smile:
If you have other ideas, other than those above, I am happy to try out. Thanks!

I donā€™t have a clue what DSR means but OFF is good, your problem is elsewhere.

Maybe wrong token, maybe not closing Serial Monitor etc.

I verified the serial monitor was not open. Doesnā€™t appear to be an issue with the token either. The token that is programmed matches the one provided by the app as can be seen from the serial monitor.

Could please give a more detailed description about the ā€œofflineā€ message?

Also another thing, under the iOS phone setting, the Blynk appā€™s default server is:

I assume that should match the blynk-ser.batā€™s settings? In any case I changed them to match the scriptā€™s settings but still get the ā€œofflineā€ message.

Just had a thought, could it be that my Windows7 firewall be blocking access? If so, is there a way to circumvent this?

Are you using Blynkā€™s Cloud Server or your own Local Server?

No. I also use USB link on Windows 10. no issues or setup required with firewall or AV.

I followed the instructions that ran blynk-ser.bat script so would that constitute using the Blynk server? Iā€™m not totally sure.

@tanos1 Well, if you are unsure then you are probably not using a local Server :slight_smile:

The blynk-ser.bat script is just a translator between Serial and TCP/IPā€¦ and generally all one needs to modify is the COM port. It will work automatically with Cloud Server (unless you change that info as wellā€¦ which if you donā€™t have a local server, then DONā€™T change it):

@echo off
setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion

REM === Edit these lines to match your need ===

set COMM_PORT=COM1   <--- Change this to match the COM port that you are using on your MCU
set COMM_BAUD=9600   <--- Match this to the serial speed on your MCU
set SERV_ADDR=blynk-cloud.com    <--- Only change this IF using Local Server... then change it to the internal IP address of your Server
set SERV_PORT=8442

REM === Edit lines below only if absolutely sure what youre doing ===

The reason I had asked which server you where using, is that this is NOT the address for Blynkā€™s Cloud Server. That setting should look something like this (this is on Android, but I think IOS should be similar):

You only switch to CUSTOM when you are using your own Local Serverā€¦ or in special situations where you are running into a GEO-DNS issue.

Ok, so now back to why I am getting the ā€œofflineā€ message on the Blynk app :grin:

So then the default server address should be changed to match Blynks server address? I did change it just in case but to no avail.

I was thinking about your comment about the USB->TCP/PI conversion and there maybe differences in signal translation that could be causing this issue. Sounds plausible. Should I focus my attention there? If so, where should I start?

You suggestion is well appreciated!

Sorry, I did not get your last comment so disregard the server address comment

This may be the missing link. How do I get to that setting? I did not see that in the instructions nor did I see it in my app and I believe I am using the latest version.

OK, I have just been going through this whole thread and realised that there are now three? different individuals joined in with this issueā€¦ but the first two havenā€™t shown any conclusions.

It is getting a bit messy :stuck_out_tongue:

@tanos1 Your original post showed thisā€¦ and you have indicated that you are probably NOT using a Local Serverā€¦ so what is 46.101.143.225 pointing too?

And what is the missing link?? The app server setting?

Your original post showed thisā€¦ and you have indicated that you are probably NOT using a Local Serverā€¦ so what is 46.101.143.225 pointing too?
Initially I was not connecting to the Blynk server using what I know now is an older server called blynk-cloud.cc, so I searched around and say someone;s post suggesting to use 46.101.143.225 which I believe is the same as blynk-cloud.com(new server)

And what is the missing link??
The ā€œServer Settingsā€ you mentioned above. How do I get to it to set it up?

If you are connecting to Blynkā€™s Cloud Server you donā€™t do any of your above mentioned ā€œsettingsā€.

Run the script with only the COM port and BAUD settings changed, to match your device, and leave the app just as it is by default (set to BLYNK)ā€¦ if you canā€™t find the settings (which is on the login page of the app), then you probably havenā€™t changed them :stuck_out_tongue:

If you are running the newer IDE and Blynk libraries, you can run the USB script from here and it will take care of COM and BAUD settings for you.

Hey Gunner,

It worked! Thanks!. Not sure whatā€™s different about it but I logged out of the app and logged back in (I could then see the ā€œServer Settingsā€ you mentioned; I have been logged in so I did not see ā€œServer Settingsā€), and I also reran the script blynk-ser.bat (this time, without the -arguments).

Whatever it is, it works now.

Thanks a lot Gunner!

1 Like