Robot with Esp8266 Shield and Arduino Nano

More pins, but the same operating method. There for, the latency should be the same, but it could be a bad chip too.

The point here - esp works fine without Blynk server. That is logical, but still Blynk should be fast enough. Maybe @vshymanskyy has ideas of what is going wrong here?

1 Like

Yeah I have a feeling the Esp boards are bad (I actually tested with 2 board, but they were bought from the same place at the same time).

I had to return a motor driver from the same vendor because it was dead. When I order new ones, Iā€™ll be sure to try again with Blynk. The widgets are pretty sweet to use and look very professional too:)

I donā€™t want to waste anymore of your time since it seems hardware or wiring related, thank you all for all your help!

Hi Dmitriy!
From my point of view, the slider is not as good as the single-axis Joystickā€¦ With the single-axis we had the ā€œAutoreturnā€ function, it was like a real one, more friendly/intuitive for children ā€¦ Obviously we can use the two-axis, but itā€™s not the same sensationā€¦

I agree:) With the single-axis joysticks, you can simulate the ā€œfeelā€ of the classic RC toys radio controller. Also the auto-return was super useful as well.

@Pavel what do you think?

My main concern is that the way we implemented the 1 axis Joystick was not the best because it should have taken less space.

So it will be added, but with a different design

Ok I can confirm, it is an ESP problem, but Iā€™m still tackling it.

I started pinging my ESP, and I was getting almost 800 ms responses. So no kidding everything seemed slow. I switched to another ESP card, with an older firmware. For some time, I was suddenly getting 30 ms ping times!! I tried my motor control sketch, and I was getting instantaneous reaction, even when spamming the connections!

I unhooked my FTDI and started it untethered, and all of a suddenā€¦ping times dropped back to 600 and even 1000 ms! I tried resetting the ESP, a whole bunch of other stuff, and I couldnā€™t get the same performance.

Itā€™s super annoying, I thought finally I solved it and I was gonna hook Blynk back in, but now Iā€™m back to crappy ping times. Argh!

Hi Cyberbum!
Iā€™m really sorry for the problems you have, If you want I can send you the firmware Iā€™m using for the ESP.

PM your e-mail and Iā€™ll send you the file and the flasher if you want. Let me know!!

Hi Pavel,

Half the size would be perfectā€¦ :wink:

What do you think?

1 Like

SUCCESS!!! Ok, so, the whole problem was caused byā€¦a damn wifi network from my neighbor that was completely interfering with the ESPā€™s wifi.

To solve this, I changed that my car now hosts a local AP (access point). I used the Netspot app on Macosx to see which channels were being used around me, and picked something unused (channel 12 in my case).

On my app I connect to my carā€™s AP (wireless network). Once connected, I have perfect control, no latency!!!

So happy, this took me so long to figure out:) Now I will replugging in all my Blynk stuff:P

@cyberbum ahaha. glad you figured out exactly problem. By the way how did you find out that?

I had read a post about some guy using two ESPs beside each other, and he mentioned that if one was using its GPIO, it would interfere with the other ESP, lowering its ping and even timing out.

So I started taking snapshots of wifi networks around me. I noticed I was sharing the same channel as many other networks, but didnā€™t want to switch my own wifi networkā€™s channel. So I found out that if you create your own AP with the ESP, you can pick any channel you want!

Itā€™s still working great! Iā€™ve certainly learned a lot while troubleshooting all this:)

1 Like

Congratulations @cyberbum!
At the end you did it!!
Happy blynking! :wink:

@psoro could you please take a look at my post in this thread [SOLVED] If don't connect to Internet device go slowly and give your assessment of Nano with ESP via the cloud?

1 Like

@psoro when I looked through the examples provided by Blynk they recommend SoftSerial for Uno / Nanoā€™s with ESPā€™s. I notice you have HardSerial and I think the first time round I went with HardSerial. Was there a particular reason you picked HardSerial? Maybe it is because in your robot you donā€™t need any serial once you have completed the project.

I have some more testing to do and then I will add to this thread Blynk Libraries but I think I have established I donā€™t have a problem with ESPā€™s it is more of a Blynk issue.
I have a fairly detailed virtual LCD menu structure in my project and if I select one of the virtual buttons (button assigned to a virtual pin) to write something to the LCD it crashes the system. If I use a timer and refresh the LCD even at 100ms intervals the Nano and ESP are fine but not if the LCD is refreshed by a virtual button.

The ESP has been running for about 8 hours now and refreshing the LCD at 1 second intervals and all is fine but I know if I press a virtual button it will crash immediately. If I use digital pins the system doesnā€™t crash but I really need to use virtual pins.

This is a silly electronics question, but can anyone explain the purpose and necessity of the resistors, as well as the ground connection between the ESP RX and the Arduino TX?

Hi @zeeko, the ESP works at 3.3 V, the resistors do a simple resistor divider. Otherwise your ESP will die in a short time.

@Costas, at the beginning the use of Hardserial was recommended. I had same issues as you with Softserial, with the Hardserial I have no problems at all. Keep in mind I use also a Local Server.

@psoro I donā€™t know if Blynk have changed anything over the months but HardSerial seems infinitely better than Softserial when using Uno / Nanoā€™s with ESPā€™s.