Not getting IP - with WS5200 SHIELD

Project works perfectly for hours and as I am still developing I upload the program to the Arduino quite often. It generally connects to Blynk quite fast.

And then with no reason after a new upload I will get ā€œ[0] Getting IPā€¦ā€ on the serial monitor and it will stay with the message

And 1 or 2 days after it will work!

makes me crazy!

If you are just venting for therapy sake, then I hope it is working for you :wink:

If however you are asking for some advice or assistance, then we could use a little bit more informationā€¦ What type of MCU hardware, itā€™s connection method to the server, which server, Cloud or Local, perhaps even a (properly formatted) copy of the sketch you are runningā€¦ etc.

Unluckily not just venting. But so ā€œpissed offā€ yesterday that indeed I did not provide enough info. Sorry.

To test, I use the sketch from the Blynk example: ā€œSeed Ethernet V2.0ā€. So this should not be a problem related to my project.

I tried with the 3 Blynk.begin() possibilities of this example:
(auth is correct)

Blynk.begin(auth);
Blynk.begin(auth, ā€œblynk-cloud.comā€, 8442);
Blynk.begin(auth, IPAddress(192,168,1,100), 8888);

Connecting to Blynk server (no local server).

Tested on 2 different Arduino Mega and 1 Uno with 2 different Ethernet cards and 2 internet cables to exclude hardware issues.

I tried with a connection to my office router: TP-Link (TL-WR1043ND) or directly to the main connection from the internet provider ā€œboxā€

(All firewalls off)

DHCP issue?

Ahh, OK. Be aware that there are lots of little picky issues with many of these ethernet shieldsā€¦ possibly based on poor clone manufacturing processes. I had a W5100 that was a real pain to keep stable, due to grounded out AREF pinā€¦ I ended up bending the pin out of the way, and that helped for awhile, but eventually the whole board just gave up and died due to other internal issues.

I see three different example sketches based on three different types of ethernet adaptersā€¦ If you are using the one with #include <EthernetV2_0.h> then that should be used with one that is based on the W5200 chipset. Can you confirm that this is the adapter you are trying?

Also, have you been able to get it to connect with a non Blynk based Arduino example?

Running the web server example (not blynk) from the ethernet card works fine!

Yes I use WS5200

I usually had best results with just the DHCP settingā€¦ Blynk.begin(auth); But as that didnā€™t work for my setup I ended up scouring Google for any tips and tricks for getting those shields to work with a static IP.

I no longer have those references handy, but it basically consisted of also programming in a MAC address.

I will see if I can find a few quick references for you, but based on my experience, you will be needing to do a lot of Googling and ā€œtestingā€ other options on your own (As I am sure you have already :wink: )

I donā€™t know for sure why it seems ā€œharderā€ with Blynk (I had issues with and without Blynk, I just used it more with Blynk I guess :wink: )ā€¦ except that the communication (particularly the authorisation) may require more precision/stability than these shields are rated for (particularly the clones).

A few quick references to ā€œissuesā€ and some attempted workarounds.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=316764.0

http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18595

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=289293.0

Thanks for the info.

Changing the MAC address as suggested in one of your link, did not help.

I switched to an Ethernet 2 shield and it worked immediately. (Hope it will stay so.)

So indeed the problem is with the WS5200 shields.From the links you posted, these shields do indeed have problems. And the worst is that sometimes they work sometimes not. So that I spent a lot of time looking for a code error or router problem which were not existing.

My advice: DO NOT USE A WS5200 SHIELD!

1 Like

Well unluckily not yet a definite solution. While the WS5500 ethernet2 shield works on blynk example, there appear to be a library conflict between the Ethernet2 lib and the keypad lib (which I need in my project). So back to looking for a solution.

Anybody with an experience with a Ethernet shield working with Blynk, lcd and keypad libraries?