How to make a server on my android phone

I was going to remind everyone that the >C.H.I.P.< is $9 , has WiFi, BT and runs Blynk Server (and even Client, but I haven’t yet been able to figure out the GPIO with Blynk).

But that New RPi Zero W looks real nice… and even a bit smaller than C.H.I.P. I think, especially without the soldered on header :+1:

And, yes, there is “currently” :wink: no resistor on the LED… but it is underdriven, just flashes as part of a battery monitor script… and has been doing so for a few weeks without issue (not on battery the whole time :stuck_out_tongue: just running in general).

OrangePi Zero is below 10$ ($7 costs 256MB version) and has WiFi. Personally using OPI One with ethernet, though so not tested by me but 99% or more it works. And try with Oracle Java where possible. OpenJDK is somehow worse - less responsive web interface, some errors or warnings… but works too.

thank you guys for all the useful info!

as i said, first i will try the windows phone, maybe i can use that as a server… that would be the most convenient from all pov.

you mean it is possible to run client + server on the same time on the same machine? i could be interested in that.

i’ve looked into these chip boards. indeed the 9 usd price is ok, however currently they are out of stock and as i see they anyway do not ship to romania. (this is where i live now, and i can’t find a dealer here). also, i wonder how much is the shipping…

Could this work?

@hutje, if you read my older posts, you can see that @Lichtsignaal and i already tried those approaches and they are not ok.

so finally is it possible(run local server on android platform or windows phone 10) or not?

I think this is possible. However we never tried that.

As long as it runs java and has a command line to start Blynk. I think Windows phone is your best bet. It seems impossible to run java on Android …

on android it is not possible, that’s 100%.
on windoze phone (i tried win 8), it was not possible at all.
maybe on win 10 phone it is possible (but i do not really think).

for me, all these experiments were a waste of time.
after all, i would recommend a pi zero w, or something similar.

It is possible. However Android has a bit different JVM (Dalvik). So it may require some tuning of server. But in general this should be possible.

1 Like

ok, @Dmitriy, i will not argue with you, because i’m sure you have much more knowledge on this topic than me.

but for me, as a simple “end user”, it seemed impossible (at least on android 4.3). probably if someone has enough knowledge to hack the hell out of the server files, it is possible :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I don’t have time right now to look through. Maybe some day :slight_smile:.

Dalvik actually seems to be ancient and discontinued in later Android versions, from what I can find on the web.

Android 5.1 later i think Android uses ART (Android Runtime)

2 Likes

You’re right. I forgot about that. Anyway, java supports AOT compilation. So java server could be compiled to support ART.

2 Likes