How to connect to wifi for future users?

I’ve designed a simple “mood light” using an arduino pro mini,esp8266 to connect to wifi and Blynk to control fade speed and choose a colour using the rgb widget.
I’d like to make a few of these and give them as presents :blush:.
Some of the people who I’d give them to haven’t a clue how to program or upload any code to the arduino.
My question is how would they get their ssid and password for their wifi into the arduino in order to connect to the Blynk app?
An example of code (if necessary) or simple step by step instructions(which I can print off for them to use) would be very useful.
Thanks for any help :+1:t2:

There is something going on here: External ESP8266 Configuration

it may be something, but ofcourse you can assist people with installation, after all, it’s a one time thing :slight_smile:

Thank you, this could help me to solve my friends getting connected relatively easily😃but I can’t help wondering how you would go about implementing this if you were to sell a number of them or anything relatively small and or inexpensive controlled by Blynk as the cost of adding a screen and input device to the lamp wouldn’t make it viable?

Well, the guys here have a business page too, so I’m guessing they are figuring out how to explore these sorts of issues. I’m guessing you can built a custom firmware-flasher to flash Arduino’s with just an SSID or other networked information via a simple other Arduino sketch thingie. That way you can buy a generic “Blynk Flasher” for all your blynk devices? I don’t know, just throwing around some thoughts :slight_smile:

1 Like

How about a $3/4 SIM card module from China and a payg sim with £1 credit for some 3G wifi then connect to Blynk server then the terminal to input ssid and password? :laughing:

@Rob.b I know where you are coming from on this and for Blynk to become more mainstream then it is an issue that needs to be addressed. Makers can swap and change the credentials at will but end users need an idiot proof way of accessing the system.

@tzapulica has done some great work in this area with his WiFi manager for ESP standalone devices.

By and large end users now have ‘terminals’ i.e. their Android and iPhone devices so you don’t need to go to the expense of providing these. As a proof of concept I posted a few days ago about DroidTerm to access Blynk. It is a fairly simple app that allows you to write to serial devices. So providing the device you build retains a serial port the end users can enter the required ssid, pwd and token etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I’ll take a look at the example and give it a go :sunglasses: