ESP deep sleep

Defo better but not the best but you should achieve around 90% or more efficiency with normal load from ESP, maybe 0.5 day more. If you look at efficiency curve you will notice that it is terrible for low current which is the problem here.

BTW you should use Buck/Boost converter as operating voltage of 18650 is from 3v-4.2v

It’s also quite important to note that efficiency during deep sleep will most likely drop to as low as 50% or even less…

Actually put an output from your DC/DC converter to 3V this will most likely give you bit more juice out of battery.

I’m using 2 batteries… These lasted almost 8 days… Maybe if I change it to 10min readings and lower the regulated voltage to 3v it could last a month?

What would be the best voltage converter to use?

Hi there!
I’m using a really small battery (700mAh) and my system is still alive since last Thursday… 6 days at the moment…
As the Wemos is powered using the micro usb, I’m using a step-up DC-DC converter (from 3.7 to 5v)

http://es.aliexpress.com/item/0-9V-5V-to-5V-600MA-USB-Output-charger-step-up-Power-Module-Mini-DC-DC/32551686634.html

Regards

reduce tx power of ESP by using this function:

WiFi.setOutputPower(0);

next thing desolder all the LEDs that are on the board. As for DCDC converter I don’t really se the point to make custom design unless you wanna sell this stuff just use the last one you mentioned. Lastly what you can do is set static IP this will reduce time to connect to AP.

speechless!

only one noob question: why thingspeak?

it provides unlimited data logging and powerful visualisation…

that is old code, probably a few improvements made to that sketch! including OTA update etc…

it is very well done!

BTW I have some info to add, maybe can be usefull for you:

bme280 consumes around 400uA in continuous mode, versus <1uA in one-shot mode

try to put in Forced mode, see this good example

http://wiki.sweetpeas.se/index.php?title=Room_Monitor

OK, thank you - do you use BME280? which library?

my sensor node is in “on” for 10 seconds maximum, and BME uses a fraction of what the ESP eats…

usually I use adafruit libraries

are you working on a battery sensor?

yes, this is my working battery sensor, using 2 x 18650 batteries…

lots of battery discussion here: Idea and suggestion for a battery powered system

(WHOOPS - that is your thread, lol!)

yes lol! :slight_smile:

seems there are no such interest on battery power nodes! :frowning:

can you share the updated code? I’d like to try on a different battery like Ni-Mh

I will update tonight…

Im currently trying to build a moisture sensor for my garden system using 2x18650’s and Solar panel + TP4056 combo.

I’m stuck so will follow this thread for some help :slight_smile:

I think ESP is quite good for a moisture sensors. You don’t need to pull data too often. I think 1x18650 will be enough

I’ve only been able to get my Blynk sensor to run for about 35min on a single battery without charging.
Thats transmitting every 10 seconds without deep sleep because when it goes to sleep it never wakes up. Im using a ModeMCU ESP8266.
I have the really cheapo chinese 18650’s marked as 4400mAh (but think they’re more like 900mAh doh!)

you did connect RST pin right?

Yup I have exhausted all avenues.

might be a NodeMCU thing? i never use NodeMCU…

1 Like

maybe is the FW on NodeMCU?
or Hardware problem?

some firmware allow to go until 35min, now seems that limit is 71min. Try to decrease your deep sleep time