Blynk video streaming success!

OK, I understand, but, I can see the video at my smartphone with Chrome Browser (using Public IP) so I guess I could see the video using the Widget pointing at same direction… Am I right?

i also think the video must be streaming at a specific frame rate and video composition

Not exactly. Maybe problem in video format. Chrome may use not same codebase/libraries as default android player. So their possibilities could be different.

Here is more info https://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

I believe you can tune your camera to stream some of those formats.

yes you’re right. format also

@Dmitriy, @BlynkAllTheTime,

Thanks for your support! I’ll read the doc and try to find the way to change the format in the App or the App itself looking for a better one.

Kind regards!

PS: If there’s any Blynker with this knowledge… please, feel free to comment…:wink:

ok, so this is how i got it to work. All my secrets are coming out lol. First you will need an ip camera. I’ve only tested this out with an actually IP camera. Then you will need to open the port from the router. i usually use port 80. Next you will need to convert the video feed into rstp. for some reason this is the format which worked for me. i used an app called onvifer. its only available on google play. once its done configuring the ipcamera it’ll display the url under settings. put that url into your blynk project and you should be good to go. theres still little kinks here and there but for the most part it works

2 Likes

No worries, your secrets are save with us :wink:
Again fighting with the format… Your Ip camera is compatible with the Widget, not the APP I’m using right now as per the results.
I’ll try with a real Ip camera, I want to move the Lego-car out of home using the camera on it.

Thanks for your help!

For me it’s great solution i was waiting for it long long time.
Im using hikvision cameras, and as far as I see h264 is working like a charm.
Link:
rtsp://login:pass@ip:port/h264/ch1/sub/
It can be different depending by the vendor - it’s quite easy to find this information in the net
Im using VPN. If You got local server it’s better to put local vpn on the server, rather than redirect port.
If You are using branded “better” camera it should be secure enough to redirect port to camera, but only one!.
Both solutions are quite easy.

For me only pain is the iphone…

my method worked for you?

@BlynkAllTheTime, great work!! wishing I had an android device in my household (iphone addicts)…

I have to use Droid4X but not having any luck streaming video.

The stream link works fine on my local computer in VLC… instant stream in 1080p@20fps (12mbit)… but it just wont load in the Video Widget in Droid4X… any chance you could test your own settings in the emulator and see if its an emulator issue or something Im doing wrong?

Cheers,

so at the moment its only working inside my network. I’m trying to get it to work outside the network but that app I’m using only works within the network. I’m trying to find a solution. ill get back to you guys when i do

did You tried to put phone in dmz on the router?
it should work

Im using a local server, which also happens to be the ip camera NAS server (synology).

I suspect that is a limitation of the simulator.

Im just waiting for a mate to come over with his Samsung to test it out. Will update shortly!

@Jamin if you have an acceptable stream in the emulator the 3 spinning green dots will disappear but you will not see the video stream. Certainly that is what my tests show. If you have an incorrect media format or simply the wrong url the dots will spin forever. So at least the emulator can be used for validating the stream.

The stream I entered in to Droid4X worked the moment I logged in to my mates phone as you can see. It was streaming perfect 20fps 1080p! So great!
Hope this comes out on iOS soon!!

2 Likes

@Jamin nice video. Can you indicate what make and model the camera is so we can see what media streams it can produce. Can you also provide the url you used and any tweaks you may have done to routers etc.

I have local streams that are fine in VLC and onvifer but not in the video widget.

I suspect the camera needs to be be capable of producing H264 streams.

I have 4 x Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I

My system is complicated using Synology Surveillance Station software to record and have special alarms and triggers setup across my 4 cameras.

It works simply by opening rtsp://username:password@local-cam-ip:554/h264/ch1/main/av_stream
in VLC media player.
I didnt have to set up anything else. But I imagine that some might have to turn on RTSP protcol manually in the settings. Mine was on by default. I did see there was an option to lower the security and allow anon login but the username:password system worked well.

Here is the substream link: rtsp://username:password@local-cam-ip:554/h264/ch1/sub/av_stream

Synology Diskstation RTSP generated output link with an even more complicated url worked fine too.

Some simple NAT/Port forwaring on my router to port 554 also allowed external access.

Pretty solid little widget.
I’d love to see the ability to setProperty and change the stream url to something new on request… say for flipping between streams using a button or slider.

1 Like

Good point. We’ll do.

2 Likes