Blynk Server Bash Updater Script

Hi, blynkers, especially local server guys.

• script should be stored in folder with server-*.jar and run.sh;
  • script autodetect java version;
  • script update server version in run.sh file;

I`am a beginner at bash script writing, together we could improve this script( post useful edits in this topic ).Code:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Perform Blynk server update.

#######################################
# Colorize your stdout
#normal=$(tput sgr0)                      # normal text
normal=$'\e[0m'                           # (works better sometimes)
bold=$(tput bold)                         # make colors bold/bright
red="$bold$(tput setaf 1)"                # bright red text
green=$(tput setaf 2)                     # dim green text
fawn=$(tput setaf 3); beige="$fawn"       # dark yellow text
yellow="$bold$fawn"                       # bright yellow text
darkblue=$(tput setaf 4)                  # dim blue text
blue="$bold$darkblue"                     # bright blue text
purple=$(tput setaf 5); magenta="$purple" # magenta text
pink="$bold$purple"                       # bright magenta text
darkcyan=$(tput setaf 6)                  # dim cyan text
cyan="$bold$darkcyan"                     # bright cyan text
gray=$(tput setaf 7)                      # dim white text
darkgray="$bold"$(tput setaf 0)           # bold black = dark gray text
white="$bold$gray"                        # bright white text

# Clear last terminal line
clearLastLine() {
    tput cuu 1 && tput el
}

# Script Begin #
echo "${white}Checking for updates...${normal}"

serverUrl=$(curl -s https://api.github.com/repos/blynkkk/blynk-server/releases/latest \
| grep "browser_download_url.*.jar")

# Detect java version
javaVersion=$(java -version 2>&1 | grep -i version | cut -d'"' -f2 | cut -d'.' -f1-2)
if [ "$javaVersion" == "1.8" ]; then
    serverUrl=$(echo "$serverUrl" | grep ".*-java8.*")
else
    serverUrl=$(echo "$serverUrl" | grep -v ".*-java8.*")
fi

# BlynkServer latest version Url
serverUrl=$(echo "$serverUrl" | cut -d : -f 2,3 \
| tr -d \")

serverName=${serverUrl##*/} # BlynkServer latest version Filename

if [ -f $serverName ]; then
    echo "${green}You running latest version.${normal}"
else
    echo "${yellow}Downloading $serverName...${normal}"

wget -q $serverUrl --show-progress
    if [ $? == 0 ]; then # If wget response is 200
        clearLastLine
        echo "${green}Download completed.${normal}"
    else
        clearLastLine
        echo "${red}Download failed.${normal}"
    fi

if [ -f $serverName ]; then
        # Setting permissions for downloaded new BlynkServer
        echo "${white}Setting 644 permissions.${normal}"
        chmod 644 $serverName

# Update run.sh file
        echo "${white}Updating run.sh.${normal}"
        sed -i "s/server-.*jar/$serverName/g" run.sh

echo "${yellow}Restarting Blynk server.${normal}"
        # Kill old BlynkServer.
        kill $(ps aux | grep -v grep | grep 'server-.*jar' | awk '{print $2}')
        # Run new BlynkServer
        sudo ./run.sh &
    fi
fi

Thanks for helpful advices or editings: distans.

5 Likes

I wrote a script like yours about a year ago I think, but yours looks a bit more elegant t.b.h. Main difference is I just rename the server-version.jar to server.jar so I can have my run.sh static and donā€™t have to modify it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think many blynkers wrote a script like this, but it should be written single time and well. Also modifying run.sh has advantages as keeping versioning: ease roll-back( in case old server jar not removing ); compatibility with blynk server setup instructions.

True, I did keep old .jar files, but my script was more dirty, Iā€™ll admit that, lol. Itā€™s probably posted somewhere on the forum if you search for it.

In the common quest for the ultimate install/update/start/stop-script I have some feedback :slight_smile:

I think the server-[version]-java8.jar is for RPi and the server-[version].jar for Linux in general. So a slight difference between those two which people might not notice. I want to use the latter :slight_smile:

Itā€™s ā€œbad practiceā€ and actually no reason at all to set the permissions to -rwxrwxrwx. Default -rw-r--r-- will do just fine. ā€œjava -jarā€ is whatā€™s executing and just needs to read the *.jar file. Also -R changes permissions recursively and has no effect on a single file :wink:

1 Like

Well, you lost me after feedback :stuck_out_tongue:

I just manually log in with putty, grab the latest file with wget (using past ā€˜rememberedā€™ CLI commands and adjusting for file name), stop the server edit the rc.local to match the new file name and run rc.local again. Usually done in about 30-45 secondsā€¦ not bad I think for a Linux n0ob. And it keeps me a bit more cognizant of some basic commands (not that I can remember them without looking them upā€¦ Each. And. Every. Timeā€¦ arrggā€¦).

I was just pointing out that there is a difference between the two jars. The reason I found out is this:

CPU Support - not all Pi models
Java 9 takes advantage specific CPU instruction sets commonly found in modern 64-bit processors, like the ARM v7/8 CPUs and x86 range. This move will help improve runtime performance.

However, as of today, this does limit Java 9 to the Raspberry Pi 2 and Pi 3 boards. Owners of model As, Bs and Zeros, with their older ARM v6 processor chips, will therefore have to keep using Java 8.

Hereā€™s a beautiful command if you have jq (commandline JSON processor) installed:

~$ curl -s https://api.github.com/repos/blynkkk/blynk-server/releases/latest | jq --raw-output '.assets[1] | .browser_download_url' | wget -i -

Saving to: "server-0.29.2.jar"

If you change the .assets[1] to .assets[0] youā€™ll get the server-[version]-java8.jar instead.

Dude! You canā€™t type that fast! :rofl:

But if I use BOTH index fingers I can do a fair clip :smiley:

Thankfully the CLI seems to remember my past commandsā€¦ stored in some file if I recall correctlyā€¦ I just arrow up and down, find the command, edit, press enter, rinse & repeat :stuck_out_tongue:

if you enter the command ā€œhistoryā€ you can see a list of all past commands :slight_smile:

Say you forgot the curl command, you can search in the list using grep:

history | grep curl

Thatā€™ll search for curl in that list.

The chmod is a very good notice. You might want to add inputting a parameter to let the script choose for downloading the Java9 or 8 version, e.g. update.sh java8

Thanks, code in header updated.:kissing:

1 Like

I only have 2000 lines in my history file so that method has it limitations :wink: Yes, I know I can change thatā€¦

@fragolinux uses lsb_release -rs to check which Java version that should be installed in his script from the thread Completely unattended local Blynk-Server setup which is one way to do it (But youā€™ll get the *-java8.jar version either way because there was only one release when he wrote it :wink: ).

rc.local is obsolete :stuck_out_tongue: Say hello to systemd!

Added java version autodetection. Code in header updated.

fragolinux script is for a complete new installation on a virgin system, thatā€™s why he checks against the distro.

He looks in /etc/os-release after ā€œ*BIANā€ and if the release version is >9 with lsb_release -rs. If so, Java 8 gets installed. But does all RPi distros have ā€œ*BIANā€ as ID? Never mind. Itā€™s not important! :stuck_out_tongue:

I might start working on a install/update script, but for Linux only. Itā€™s complicated enough without having to guess what the RPiā€™s needs :smiley:

For those interested, I made a small how-to for systemd. If someone could test if it works on RPi it would be great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes