Blynk crashes frequently

maybe you should disable screen rotate hotkeys, i assume you’re not rotating your screen every day??

1 Like

I have made changes to the memory allocations, assigning consts to PROGMEM, paring down some items to byte from int, and using #define for a few things. The compiled SRAM memory is now down to 49%. Is that a generally reasonable number to generate stable code?

Thanks for your help!

afaik, anything under 65-70% should be ok.
you still have the crashes?

1 Like

Haven’t tried yet, but will soon. I’ll have an update.

@q_mech, any progress on this? i’m just curious if you found the problem, what was that?

I have made some changes to the code to lessen the dynamic memory use, and got it down to about 50%. I purchased an ESP 8266 shield from Sparkfun and that’s where I am right now. When I try to run the new code I get a “Failed to disable Echo” error. I’m chasing down that now.

I swapped out the CC3000 for an ESP8266 only to have it crater on me. Before I buy another one, let me ask this - what is the best option for hardware?

I am using a RedBoard with a wifi shield. I chose this route because I need the hardware to keep running even if it loses contact with my phone for an extended period of time. So a setup that simply responds to the phone app won’t cut it.

First option - let’s assume I keep the RedBoard. What is the best wifi option?

Second option - if we ditch the RedBoard, is there a better option than the above?

I’d go for the Wemos any day. Since @Costas introduced us to that … it’s so easy in usage and so cheap. The only thing is it has only one analog port, but you can buy a simple multiplexer for that.

1 Like

Wish I’d known that to start with. But now I’d have to rewrite all my code, come up with a 3.3V power supply, and its not clear to me if I would have enough free D lines for all nine of my digital input and output lines. Got any ideas for a shield or breakout for a Redboard/UNO instead?

I think the UNO has plenty of digital ports, right?

I swapped out the CC3000 for an ESP8266, which bricked on me. I’m on my second ESP, and can’t get past a “Failed to Read Echo” error. Getting pretty fed up with this.

Do you mean “Failed to Disable Echo”? If so, I found this recent post for ESP8266 on Uno… might work for you?

And it isn’t clear if you figured out the Twitter issue. I am guessing you are using Cloud Server? If not, then Twitter will not work on Local Server. Also there may be an issue with twitter on IOS.

1 Like

I hope you’re not feeding 5v in to the ESP TX/RX pins… the UNO is 5v and the ESP can only take up to 3.7v before burning out.

You really need to get yourself an ESP8266 dev board like the WeMos D1 Mini or NodeMCU clone… then you can ditch the UNO and use a multiplexer.

No. The Sparkfun ESP8266 shield is a 5V component.

The software Rx and Tx are set as ports 8 and 9, not 2 and 3. I’ve swapped 8 and 9 in the code; no dice.

And I am using the Cloud server. And it just plain doesn’t work.

I’m getting a flood of confusing, conflicting advice from the community that isn’t helping. I am about to ditch Blynk entirely because it doesn’t work. I need your help to straighten this out, please.

Dude, just go buy an ESP dev board (aka plug-n-play Blynk) like a WeMos D1 Mini or NodeMCU… Blynk is AMAZING… dont let your awful hardware put you off…

The Failed to disable echo is a really really common problem when using the shields… and there are lots and lots of help threads with alternative solutions… so best to try them all.

My application requires more digital lines than Wemos offers. And I’ve already tried using a shift register. I found I couldn’t control the lines via Blynk without writing so much code that it was unstable.

I’m not buying any more hardware. I had a CC3000 and was told to go buy an ESP. So I did, and it turns out to be even worse than the CC. Now I keep getting advice to go buy some completely different hardware that will require me to start over from scratch AGAIN. I’m this close to flushing the whole thing.

just do it.

watering your plants personally sounds like it would be good for your soul…

1 Like